Is my Intuos4 set up right?

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by kmargo945, Apr 24, 2012.

1. kmargo945

kmargo945 New Member

I'm not sure if this has been covered and I have been having a hard time finding answers. It seems like most Gimp users with tablets are either on Ubuntu or Windows.

My stuff:

PowerBook G4 (PPC)
    OSX 10.5.8
    XQuartz 2.6.3
    Gimp 2.6.11
    Intuos4 driver 6.1.6-4

Based on what little info I've been able to find involving mac-gimp-intuos4, this is what I've done in Gimp:

Pointer, pen, cursor, and eraser all set to screen in the Input Devices section.
    Brush, pattern, and gradient all checked under Paint Options Shared Between Tools.
    I started Gimp with the pen, which I read would lead the program to recognize the tablet.

Now for the questions.

Is it supposed to indicate the model pen, eraser, etc. under the input device configurations? Some of the screenshots I saw listed them by the manufacturer name (i.e. wacom pen, wacom eraser, etc.). The list I got was just pointer, pen, cursor, eraser. Does this mean my tablet wasn't configured right?

The express keys assigned to all other apps in the sys pref work in Gimp and the ones assigned specifically to Gimp don't. Huh?

The only functionality I've been able to get out of the touch ring is zoom and brush size. Is there something I missed here?

Thanks,
    Raul

2. Maffe811

Maffe811 The forum pet Staff Member

Honestly, i have no idea.

This menu thing looked important:
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.khulsey.com/wacom-intuos-tablet-setup-preferences.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.khulsey.com/wacom-intuos-tab ... ences.html</a>
    So... check that out...

I recently bought a Intuos5 for my GF (for, she paid, i bought), but i suspect im soon gonna have to help her make it work on her mac, most likely. Even though photoshop should be more plug and play.

Uhm. What else....

Try googling, but with keywoords.
    Like, Intuos4 OSX express key gimp doesn't work.
    Then check the first 2-3 relevant results for any clues.

Thats all i can say.
    Cause problem fixing, we're good at. Problem finding...
    Its hard to find the problem without physical control of the computer.

But, if you find a guide that worked for someone, you could try to completly copy them.
    Like, use the same driver they did, use the same stuff they did, to everything the same.

Also, maybe som sketchy software or some old crap is stuck.
    Virus scan, defragmentation and a cleanup (I think CCleaner is on Mac too...)

3. kmargo945

kmargo945 New Member

Thanks for the response.

I did google the keywords you mention. That got me here. The closest thing I found was a you tube video which got me as far as I am. It isn't bad, the pen works like it should but no eraser. That and the touch ring are the only real issues I've come across and after playing around with it for a little while today, I think I'll be okay. I was just wondering if there was some way to get full functionality out of the tablet through Gimp instead of the Intuos driver. I'm having a harder time with Inkscape. I think I read somewhere that the issue is/was with GTK+ while looking for help with Inkscape, but I'm not sure how old that information is or where I found it.

Thanks again.

4. Maffe811

All i can say is maybe find a Intuos/Wacom forum and ask around if anyone has an idea.
    Or do as i usually do, push eeeeeeeverything until it works :p

5. kmargo945

kmargo945 New Member

I didn't think of Wacom forums. I'll check that out. I came here because the tablet's designed to allow external apps to configure it and I figured/hoped someone would have an answer on that point. It looks like Gimp for Mac doesn't have this feature available yet.

I have been pushing every button, as you suggested and I have gotten somewhere. After playing some more with the driver settings I can now undo/redo via the touch ring.

I wish I could provide a more detailed breakdown but I'm strictly an end user.

I guess there's a place for mac-gimp-wacom users to go now. I'll keep checking and playing and updating the thread as I find things out.

Thanks

6. Maffe811

No problem, happy to help! :D

Keep updating progress so if anyone else has this problem and stumbles upon this thread might be helped in the future :D

I hate when people just write "Fixed it" and thats it.
    So please, keep us posted! :D

7. Olivier75

Olivier75 New Member

Hi

I'm using gimp 2.8.0 on Mac OSX with an intuos 4 : pen AND eraser are working well here. Did you instal the most up-to-date drivers for the tablet?
    Concerning configuration inside gimp, I too see no specific mention of "WACOM" in input devices names. I have (numbered just for clarity):

1 : Core pointer
    2 : Virtual core XTEST pointer
    3 : cursor
    4 : eraser
    5 : pen
    6 : xquartz virtual pointer

2,3,6 are deactivated, 1,4,5 are set to "screen" ("Ecran" because I have it in french here...)

Do you run version 2.8.0 of gimp? if not you can try it maybe it will help

On the subject "express keys" : I could not find a way to assign an express key to gimp specifically : in wacom tablet preferences, when I configure it for gimp, it is not recognized... I have to configure it for "all applications" in order that gimp recognizes it... very annoying! I'd be interested if you found a workaround for this!

Regards,
    Olivier

8. kmargo945

kmargo945 New Member

Olivier,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I haven't checked in here in a while.

I believe my configuration inside Gimp is the same as yours except I have the cursor set to "screen" also, I'll have to check when I get home.

I have not installed 2.8 because:
    That's from a December article at <a class="postlink" href="http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/what-hasnt-happened-to-gimp-2.8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entr ... o-gimp-2.8</a>

I'll give it a shot if it's working for you, I can always go back to 2.6.

The express keys. My workaround so far has been to specifically assign them to every app I use the tablet with, except Gimp and Inkscape. So that would be a "no" to that question. I'm mostly comfortable the tablet performance with Gimp. I'd just like it to work as designed.

I thought this was bad, getting the tablet to work with Ubuntu is proving to be a bigger headache.

Raul

9. Olivier75

Olivier75 New Member

Hi Raul, I too saw this article before installing 2.8, but I was just too curious and found out it worked fine for me... the only "bug" I can think of (maybe this bug exists in 2.6 also, I didn't try 2.6 with my tablet...) is that when you open a new window (say, "curves"), then in order to be able to click anywhere inside this new window, you have to first hove over some area outside the window with the cursor... quite annoying if you make use of it a lot of times, but I got used to it in the end...

Edit: I forgot to mention I have OSX 10.7.4, which is different from yours and could make a little difference...

Olivier