1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I broke X11

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by ditocoaf, Sep 28, 2009.

1. ditocoaf

ditocoaf New Member

A while ago, I attempted to install Wine on my mac. This involved installing Xcode. Afterwards, I was distracted and never tried to do anything with Wine, so I have no clue whether it was successful or not. (I used this tutorial.)

The next day, I tried to run GIMP, as I had thousands of times before. However, after the GIMP icon appeared in my dock, no X11 icon followed it, and GIMP failed to work. I attempted to launch X11 from it's .app, but there was no response. The GIMP icon continued to sit in the dock, doing nothing until I force-quit.

Just today, I decided to do something about it. I decided that uninstalling X11 and reinstalling it would probably solve the problem. First, however, I decided to uninstall Wine and Xcode, thinking this might help. So I uninstalled wine using the same tutorial. Then, for some reason, I decided the best way to get rid of Xcode (which I had never bothered to take a look at) was delete the entire "Developer" folder from my hard drive, which I was pretty sure was new. As soon as I had done so, I realized it was probably a really stupid thing to do. After all this, X11 and GIMP were unsurprisingly still broken, so I went on to reinstalling X11.

The first way I tried removing X11 was to simply delete it from the Utilities folder. I was met with a "You cannot delete X11 because it is running" message, so I went online for help and ended up following this tutorial to remove X11 via the terminal, along with the other things that accompany it. I then reinstalled X11 from my OSX install cd (I'm running 10.5.8 but the CD's a little over a year old and contains 10.5.2).

Now things seem even more messed up. Attempting to run GIMP results in a momentary dock icon and then the message, "The application gimp-2.6 quit unexpectedly." Attempting to run X11 results in this dock icon and window:
    [​IMG]

Running GIMP via the terminal (in the way explained in the sticky in this very forum) has this result:
    [​IMG]

Alright, I've given a truckload of information here, and a giant wall of text, but I'm hoping that somewhere in this mess there's a clue that a more knowledgeable person can use. If there's a better place than here to ask about this sort of thing, I'm open to a referral, but this seems like the sort of problem that you guys would know about. Thanks for your time!

2. lisanet

lisanet Member

Just try running a Software Update. (you should get X11 at least 2.1.5)
    X11 from 10.5.2 is too old to run GIMP. X11 has chanded a lot since 10.5.2.

If a Software Update doesn't give you teh most recent X11 (2.1.5) then you'll have to download and install a Combp Update to 10.5.8.

-skl

3. ditocoaf

ditocoaf New Member

Thanks for replying!

Software Update doesn't think there's any updates for me to download, and X11 itself isn't working for me to run an update check. Where can I get the most recent version of X11? Apple's download site doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for.

4. lisanet

lisanet Member

as I've already answerd...:

-skl

5. ditocoaf

ditocoaf New Member

Oh, I'm sorry; I didn't see that last part. What is a Combp Update?

6. ditocoaf

ditocoaf New Member

Ah, okay. I went and installed the 10.5.8 Combo Update, and the problem was fixed! Than you so very much, lisanet!

7. Xandra

Xandra New Member

Huh, unfortunately I don't have any script-fu knowledge. If you don't find an answer contact the development team and they should be able to help you.