1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help on a dog's hair to fix a photo as a birthday gif

Discussion in 'Requests' started by Sylvia, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia New Member

Hi,
    I'm pretty new to Gimp, and I've read what I understand about the tutorials.

I'm trying to fix a photo of a special dog to give as a birthday present and I'm having a lot of trouble fixing
    the hair by the dog's nose. I fixed the eyes, and I would appreciate help as to how to fix the hair by the dog's
    nose to be whiter and look prettier. The person who owns the dog is having a 75 years old birthday,
    and the dog means the world to them.

I've spent so far 15 hours myself trying to fix the hair by cropping and blurring and it looks terrible, so I've
    undone it all.

I need to send the picture in 1 or 2 days, their birthday is November 1st.

any help is appreciated.

thank you,
    Sylvia
    [​IMG][/img][/img]

2. Sylvia

Sylvia New Member

Re: I need help on a dog's hair to fix a photo as a birthday

Oh Geez,
    I'm trying to copy & Paste the photo of the dog and I can't even seem to do that

3. Sylvia

Sylvia New Member

Here is the dog's picture.

<a class="postlink" href="http://photos3.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/a/8/0/e/highres_174223022.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://photos3.meetupstatic.com/photos/ ... 23022.jpeg</a>

4. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

Hey Silvya! ;)

Try adding a new layer above your dog-layer, setting the layer mode on "Color", turning the opacity down to around 60% (may vary) and then painting on that layer with the paintbrush tool (with white-ish colors).
    This way you should have a good amount of control about the coloring. If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll try to think of another way ;)

Edit: If you don't know much about Gimp, here's a little more detail:

- Right click on the layers dialog, then click on "Add new Layer". Use the standard values in the window that now pops up.
    - Look at the layers dialog and click on the new layer (the top one). Now change the layer mode at the small drop-down menu on the top half of your layers dialog. It should read "Normal" now. Click on "Normal" and change it to "Color" or "Hue".
    - Turn the opacity slider down a little (Lower opacity = lesser color change). The slider should be next to the layer mode drop-down menu.
    - Take the paintbrush tool in the toolbox, and select a white color (or the color of the fur), then paint over the places that you want to have colored (the snout/nose). You can always erase the parts where you failed with the eraser tool.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia New Member

Hi Arzoroc,

Thank you so much for the detailed information.

I'm in NYC and today we are expecting the Big Storm, I'm going to work on this ;D

Sylvia

6. Barbiegirl

Barbiegirl New Member

ORIGINAL
    [​IMG]

TOUCHUP - Just touched up the top part of his nose only. Painted some offwhite on it and then smudged it. (Clone tool didn't really work well for me on this).
    Did only slightly so it wouldn't look too phony. This just demonstrates the method that I would use.
    [​IMG]

Hope the best for you and your family through this storm in NYC Sylvia !

7. Arzoroc

Barbiegirl, you're probably also having more work with this than you need ;)
    It took me about 30 seconds to make this image:
    [​IMG]

It's really just new layer, paintbrush white, layer mode "Color", lower opacity. Done.

And this can probably be improved a lot by having better values and colors on my side (i used 75% opacity and 100% white #ffffff)

8. Barbiegirl

Barbiegirl New Member

Oh thankyou very much for that info Arzoroc. You are right it is much easier and quicker. [​IMG]

The Hue did not work at all. Color seems to be too greyish.
    But I found that Saturation worked best. I set at 95% opacity and even 100% opacity worked best.
    [​IMG]

But then I added some more white in case she wants it whiter.
    [​IMG]

And... you might not want this... but this one also lightens the behind and dark patch shadings around the legs.
    [​IMG]

9. Arzoroc

Yea, as I said the fine tuning was wrong for me, I merely worked on it for 30 seconds for demonstration purposes ;)

I'm glad you learned something :)

10. Shyftcode

Shyftcode Member

Attempted graphic designing occupation.
    Home Page:

[​IMG]
    I simply used the lasso select, feather selection, colorize to adjust brightness and saturation, contrast/brightness to adjust the lightness, then used the clone tool to clean up that brown fuzz under his mouth since it was too big a hassle to color (since the grass was visible under the fuzz), then used the burn/dodge on low opacity with a very fuzzy brush to touch it up.
    Five minute game, waddayathink?

11. Arzoroc

It definitely looks a lot cleaner than our results, but I don't know whether it's too clean and white now, to me it looks almost unnatural ;D In the end it's a matter of preference whether you want to have it "has just been washed" clean or "no dirty snout" clean.
    However, this demonstrates how many ways there are to make some simple changes in Gimp :) Yay for all of us :D

12. Barbiegirl

Barbiegirl New Member

I see nothing in the rules that demands pics be hidden with spoiler, and no info about size restriction.
    <a class="postlink-local" href="http://gimper.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=29&t=584</a>

I use Firefox addon "No Script" which blocks javascript.

Spoilers will not open when Javascript is disabled. That is why I do not use spoilers and do not want to have my images in spoilers. Spoilers are for hiding info that allows for the users to choose if they want to view that info... not hide pics that must be clicked to view.

Pics are not enforced with spoilers at other sites, however they are sometimes automatically resized smaller.
    But these pics are not huge... but if they were too wide then that is what the horizontal scrollbar is for.

13. Sylvia

Sylvia New Member

Thank you so much to both of you.
    Both are you are right, I tried but didn't get far and didn't understand it enough to fix myself, and
    my good plans of learning it over the storm didn't work once my power went out.

My power was out from Monday night till Saturday morning, it was one of the ickiest times.

No hot water, no lights, NO computer:), NO TV, NO Phone...........I had my own dog and cats to keep my company.
    and I live on the 18th floor. Walking down was bad, but walking up 18th floors with grocery bags was the worst.

I was so happy I have enough cat liter till tomorrow.

I ran out of candles and all the stores (that were open and you had to walk uptown) were all out of candles
    and batteries.

I'm so happy to have my power back, and happy to have kind people on this board help me.

Thank you from Midtown Manhattan for your time and thoughtfulness,
    Sylvia

14. Arzoroc

Hey Barbiegirl,
    I get your point, however there are also reasons why these pictures should be in spoiler tags. For example, I often browse this forum with my phone on the go, to see if I can quickly help someone here. If I display this topic's site with my phone (which has 7 of these rather big images opened if we don't use spoiler tags), it does not only need more bandwidth, it also makes it a lot harder to navigate and also more laggy. The spoiler tags are for providing a more convenient experience for the users. Still, we can of course not provide the optimal guidelines for everyone. It's kind of like speed limits, it's the best for the overall situation, even though some people "do not want" those either.
    We simply can and will not change a rule that is best for the overall good just because some people who use a certain plugin have a problem with it.
    If you want to have us change the rule entirely, you can give it a shot at the "Suggestions and Complains" forum, where the staff will pick the idea up. The result will still be the same.
    To the issue with the forum guideline topic: That topic has been created 4 years ago by someone who has sold this site already. The rules are in strong need of updates, but you can be assured that the Forum Staff is capable of deciding what is best for this site.
    If you have any issues regarding the site, the rules or anything else, please just PM me, Gimper, or another Staff Member with your suggestions and we will eventually work something out.

My best wishes to you Sylvie, I hope you still had a nice birthday party :) Power outages always suck.