1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Train Your Dragon's "Toothless" in the magic forest with Beckah and baby Bryan

Discussion in 'Photography' started by LovethatLucy1, Apr 30, 2015.

1. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

So here's my latest that I just finished, having worked through the night yet again. This is of my best friend[​IMG], Beckah holding our friend's newborn son, Bryan.

I chose this scene because Beckah loves dragons and "How To Train Your Dragon" ....A LOT ! I searched the net for hours for a perfect Toothless in the right pose and for a magical forest[​IMG] background (which I still made more magical looking.)

I actually had to draw in Beckah's legs and feet because I only had photos of her sitting either in a chair or standing.

Please[​IMG] let me know what you think.

[ATTACH[​IMG]]3592[/ATTACH] Becca & Bryan with Toothless.jpg

2. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

I re-did his eyes and painted them in. Which one do you think looks better....realistically speaking? Becca & Bryan with Toothless-eye redone.jpg

3. David Wood

David Wood Moderator Staff Member

Freelance graphic designer and visual effects arti
    Home Page:
    Second one looks much cleaner, looks good.

LovethatLucy1 likes this.
  4. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

Hi David,
    Thank you. I agree, although his eyes are really bright so I might tone them down with either some more painting or replace them with something else. My best friend loved it but did say that it's hard to see the baby. I said, "True....but when you think about the perspective and differences in height and size from a dragon to an adult human being and then down to a baby.....the baby is going to be itty bitty." I then told her to, .... "be grateful because I gave you plastic surgery on your butt and gave it a lift. You now have the ass of a 20 year old, woman!" LOL
    Still I might try to see if there's anything I can do to make the baby stand out a little more....we'll see . I'll post it on here if I do.

Bye for now! God Bless You!
    ~Carol Sue

5. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

So after several attempts to re-do the baby I gave up. Shrinking him down that small and from another pic with more light exposure , no matter how hard I tried to adjust it that li'l guy kept coming out looking like he was a stillborn. Yeah.....no bueno!
    But (!) .......I did re-do the eyes. The other painted ones looked like they were bulging out of Toothless' head and he was about to pounce on the baby for an afternoon snack, lol.
    So tell me what ya think? Yay or Nay? Becca & Bryan with Toothless- 2nd try at eyes.jpg

6. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

Hi David,

So I decided to give it a go with the baby again after taking a break from all the work I've been doing:eek:.

I took a photo of him from another pic and also worked on the blanket, etc. I enlarged him while I was working on him and darkened up his lips and eyelids and added some outlining to his face all together. I also sharpened it up a few notches. Then when I went to go shrink/scale it down I realized that I had been forgetting to lock in the pixels......DUH!!!:p Lol.

I also painted in more of a thumb on my best friend's bottom hand and inserted a hand on top and fixed the over blurring of the bottom of her shirt.

So here it is....but there's still more that I need to do .....it needs to have shadows cast on the ground because there is light coming from behind them. But there's the issue of their shadows would be overlapping each others and I don't want to make the ground too dark...especially because the shadows would also be on the grass and I don't want to blur it too much.

Any suggestions? Do you maybe have a tutorial?

I'm going to re-post the pic and put up the question to see what others might also have to suggest.

Thank you so much for always taking the time to respond to my stuff. It means a lot!

Bye for now and God bless you 'til then!
    ~Carol Sue
    Becca & Bryan with Toothless- New eyes, new Bryan, no shadowing, new hands.jpg

7. Roma

Roma Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Good job on the eyes. The green blends well with the grass and the background.

The arm doesn' t look very realistic honestly and the thumb you painted is too long. I recommend to just keep the original arm. It' s twisted in a way where the hand would be under the baby anyway so painting in a thum on the ouside wouldn' t really work.
    The face of the baby looks a little weird too, it' s too pink and the lips look really red.
    Maybe try to keep the original face and just brighten it up a tiny bit?

I can' t really help you with the shadows, sorry. It' s gonna be quite a challenge though, getting the perspective right and the woman and baby just might actually be in the shadow of the dragon.

8. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

I agree with you about the thumb. I was wondering about that myself. I decided to paint the base of the hand in more then decide to paint in the thumb. I did so based on the original pic where the base of the hand shows up more. The thumb I did because I thought the baby didn't look well supported. In the 2 reference pics that I was using her thumb is more apparent but had disappeared when the image was scaled down.

I chose a different face because it showed more detail, but still had to darken the features because when it was shrunk the features disappeared. I guess I went a bit overboard, lol.

I'll try it with the original face and return her arm to normal and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you for the critique and the compliment on the eyes. Do you think I should keep her hand that is on top ?:)

9. Roma

Roma Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Yes, keep it. Most of the time it' s not a good idea to change things like that, it' s just too easy to get it wrong and since we, as humans, are pretty used to the anatomy, we' ll immediately notice it if there' s something wrong.