1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to change menu item foreground & background colors

Discussion in 'General GIMP help' started by rblauter, Jun 13, 2013.

1. rblauter

rblauter New Member

I learn by using, but the dropdown menu items are unreadable. Dark letters on a dark background. I haven't found out to change the colors. Thanks for help.

2. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

Are you using a specific theme? The standard colors are black on light gray.

3. rblauter

rblauter New Member

I used whatever was the default theme.

4. Rod

Rod Moderator Staff Member

Have you opened an image or created a new image? File>New
    This will show items in the menu list that otherwise will not be available.

Where did you download the version you have installed from?

If you go to Edit>Preferences>Themes you should have more themes available.You can choose a different one there.Just click a new one and select OK.The theme should change instantly.

5. rblauter

rblauter New Member

I am running Gimp 2.8.0. Not sure of the download host.
    I just googled gimp, picked the Windows 7 version that looked good,
    and downloaded. Edit -> preferences -> Themes shows only 2 themes: default and small. Both have unreadable dropdown menu picks (because of dark font on dark background). It seems like you are suggesting, by your lack of a definitive method of changing the background color of menu items, that there is no direct way to change font or background color of menu items. Is that the case?
    Thank you.

6. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

There is a way, that's what 'themes' are meant for. Since you are new at this, instead of trying to edit a theme (not for the meek...) you can find other themes on the web that supposedly will behave differently.

However, the original theme isn't dark on dark, so you may have some other problem, that may also prevent other themes from working.

Can you post a screenshot of Gimp on your machine?

7. Rod

If the themes (small and default are dark) then i would like to know where you downloaded it from?
    Parthas version is the ONLY one i know of with a dark default theme and it is perfectly readable.Can you give us the website you installed from?

8. rblauter

rblauter New Member

I reloaded gimp again directly from gimp.org. Still had black font on a dark blue background for the dropdowns. I composed an image using screen capture, but all it shows is the sub-menu item being unreadable. And, still only two themes available. With practically everything else being customizable, I'm surprised that something so basic should not be customizable. Maybe it's just too basic to be concerned with.

9. rblauter

rblauter New Member

Here is the screen capture (if it works)
    [​IMG]

10. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

This is a link to the file on your hard disk... Upload the image to imgur.com or equivalent. Or if you use the full editor for you post, you may be able to attach it directly here.

11. Rod

Please use the Upload Attachment tab below the full editor.Select the browse button. Find the image file and add the file. This will place the image on this server and will always be available. This isn't always the case from 3rd party hosts for images, example photobucket, image shack.

Thank you.

12. Dron007

Dron007 New Member

I have the same problem. Here is what I see:
    [​IMG]

GIMP 2.8.14, installed from official site. No themes used. I have Windows 7 with classic theme that is rarely used. Maybe that is the reason of the problem. But all menus in other programs are correct.

Upd: After some googling I could fix that slightly by adding these lines to gtkrc file:
    style "menu-item"
    {
    bg[PRELIGHT] = "#ADCCFF"
    }
    class "*MenuItem*" style "menu-item"

But sometimes background of the text of menu items is still dark gray and it looks not good.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015