How do I move the selection without the content?

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by phandal, Feb 8, 2010.

1. phandal

phandal New Member

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help me with this problem.

I have an image (i shall call it "background") that I would like to cut for a logo, and I have a logo shape ("logo"). What I did was I selected the logo shape in the original image and copied it, then pasted it onto the background. So now I have the background as the main image and the pasted logo as the floating selection.

What I want to do is move the selection marquee only so that I can cut/copy part of the background image, and I have tried searching for an answer to no avail. In the material I found online, it is suggested that I press the alt key while dragging the selection to move the selection only (and not the content), however this does not appear to work on my macbook.

Does anyone have a solution to this? please help! 8O

phandal.

2. phandal

phandal New Member

This is weird, I couldn't edit my post after a short pause...

Anyway I forgot to mention that when I select the "Move" tool > tool options > selection, there are 2 greyed-out options with radio buttons "move selection". Is this normal? I suspect this might be what I need to use the tool like how I would like to.

I am using a macbook with OS 10.5.8 and running X11 version XQuartz 2.4.0

3. David Wood

David Wood Active Member

Freelance graphic designer and visual effects arti
    Home Page:
    first you have to make the floating layer stop floating, just create a new blank layer and it should anchor it. It will also remove the selection, so right click on the logo layer, choose 'alpha to selection', and under the move tool options you should be able to select the selection move tool.