1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi there! (From an old timer)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Sydney, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Sydney

Sydney New Member

Some of you (Cyrilshark?) might remember me from GimpTalk, which I used to frequent...wow, almost 10 years ago now! The community there was running strong for quite a while. But somehow it fizzled out, and sadly that forum seems to no longer be active/admin'd.

Anyways, I want to get back into GIMP art and maybe try development, and this forum looked cool. :wilber: (It even has a Wilbur emoticon!) I've used GIMP often enough for utilitarian purposes, but the artistic side I really miss.

About me: In the past (crazy) few years, I got a degree in computer science and now work as a programmer. It wasn't what I planned, but I'm glad it turned out that way...and GIMP definitely played a big role in that. :cool:

See you around,
    Syd

KiT likes this.
  2. David Wood

David Wood Moderator Staff Member

Freelance graphic designer and visual effects arti
    Home Page:
    Hello Sydney, as much as I wish to say welcome, this forum has also fizzled out and is very inactive. It has changed hands about 4 times over the last two years, and even though the owners have said they have big plans for this forum, they quickly lose interest and just pass it on to the next guy. Sorry if this sounds depressing, but it's the truth. I don't want anyone joining this forum with high hopes just to find out there is nobody here most of the time. I think you'll have a much better time at http://gimpchat.com which is where I now hang out, it is the most active Gimp forum I know of with a really great community, many who were once part of this site or Gimptalk.

David - Former Admin/Mod

3. Sydney

Sydney New Member

Thanks for the welcome and the rec! I've been looking at that site as well and will probably join. :)

I know this forum isn't terribly active, but I do see a lot of potential here. At least it still has mods! GT is completely overrun by ads at the moment...

KiT likes this.
  4. David Wood

Home Page:
    Well, I'm glad you still see something in this place. I just wish that it would fall into the hands of a Gimp user, and not just business men who seem to keep ending up with it. For a very long time I was the only active mod, then I gave up for about 8 months and came back to a redesign, and new owner, but it was still pretty quiet. And I lost my mod privileges :p

5. KiT

KiT Administrator Staff Member

@Sydney: welcome back and thanks for the nice words! Also congrats on your degree :)

@David Wood: c'mon man, cut us some slack! It is not up to us to keep this community alive, but it is up to the users :) - we can only provide the tools and I think we did a damn great job:
    • no ads - neither as user nor as guest
    • secure SSL connection
    • blazing fast servers (dedicated servers in fact)
    • custom design
    • mobile ready
    So we are definitely not dead but we jut have to face the reality that GIMP is at the moment not at their height of popularity.

What would help us a lot would be if the following section had some content: https://gimper.net/resources/categories/brushes.84/ - but that is up to our users to fill it.

David Wood likes this.
  6. David Wood

Home Page:
    @KiT Hey, it's great to know you're paying attention and willing to give a response! That's more than any other owner has done for the last few years. :D

Actually, it would be awesome to find out who's running gimp-tutorials.net and offer to take over. Both these sites used to be linked together and it was a big source of users.

7. KiT

KiT Administrator Staff Member