HELP INSTALLING GIMP ON MAC

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by orag08, Jul 6, 2011.

1. orag08

orag08 New Member

I recently bought a MAC laptop two weeks ago and for the last week, with several separate attempts, I have been trying to install GIMP.
    I have followed instructions that many of the other forums and sites have offered (Updating your MAC OS; Getting the latest version of X11 from snowleopard install; etc) but I still don't have the results I desire (a functioning GIMP software).
    I have installed, uninstalled, and re-installed several times but the same thing keeps happening.
    When I open GIMP it sits in the dock for an extended period of time and nothing opens up.
    X11 doesn't even open up until I click on the GIMP icon in the dock (After I open/select GIMP from the applications folder) and I read somewhere that X11 is supposed to start automatically without me having to double click the GIMP icon while it sits in the dock. X11 doesn't open unless I do this every time.
    I did read somewhere that the first time you launch GIMP it will take a long time to start up because it is looking for fonts.
    But with one of my separate attempts to install, I left GIMP open (on its first launch) for over 6+ hours (HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO OPEN THE FIRST TIME?).
    I did this overnight because I didn't want to wait for it (I left the laptop on; I didn't close it just let it go to screensaver).
    I went to sleep woke up and my Macbook was still the same "GIMPless" At this point I don't have a clue with what to do next. I really want this program installed on my MAC. PLEASE HELP!!!

Computer SPECS:
    Snow Leopard - 10.6.8
    X11 - 2.3.6

2. Maffe811

Maffe811 The forum pet Staff Member

I belive its called the return key ? Try to use it sometime...
    Also, no need to post in two different places!

3. orag08

orag08 New Member

And can I get some real assistance now?

4. Maffe811

Not if you're gonna be rude.
    I belive we are no active mac members on this site atm.
    So if you are looking for mac help wait or try another place.
    All i can say is google!
    Something like:
    "Program stuck on the dock and not working" Or something like that...

5. Willy

Willy Member

High School, Engineering Program
    Home Page:
    Go to GIMP Chat, there are 2 active Mac users there that I know of. Maybe more

6. Maffe811

But don't be rude!

7. UnconventionalT

UnconventionalT New Member

Usually these threads work better if someone who actually knows the subject at hand replies. Just saying. Also, demanding help isn't going to get any responses any faster.
    It also goes without saying that lisanet has been doing a fantastic job of building Gimp for Mac for the past year or so, and so deserves credit where due.

Now, let's get down to business.

1. NOTE: Skip this step, if you believe you have a valid download and valid Gimp.app application.
    If you're not, and want to be sure everything had downloaded properly, go to "http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download.html" and download the proper file to your computer (again). After that, fire up Terminal (/Applications/Terminal.app) and type in "$ md5 ~/username/filedownloaded.dmg" without the $, and replace "username" with your username, and "filedownloaded.dmg" with the name of the file you downloaded. Now compare that hash to the one on the download site. If they differ, then your download is corrupted. (Explanation of MD5 can be found here: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5") Move on to step 2 when you are sure you have an uncorrupted .dmg.

2. Download XQuartz. Despite what you may have read on the sites you've visited, X11 DOES NOT WORK with Gimp, or at least the aforementioned version of Gimp (built by linsanet). It's essentially an up-to-date version of X11, [strike]and doesn't suck as hard as Apple's does[/strike] and it's a bit more compatible than Apple's version. You can download it here: "http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki" You will have to log off and log back on when you install XQuartz to make sure it's set up properly.

3. Install Gimp.app into your Applications folder by dragging and dropping it. Then double-click it to run.

Please reply if this worked for you (or not), and change the topic name to reflect the state, i.e. "[SOLVED] HELP INSTALLING GIMP ON MAC".

8. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

~up
    ~up

It's sad but true that we have no active Mac Users in here at the moment. To be honest we haven't got that many active users anyway. 90% of the users come here to ask 1 question, don't even say thanks and never show up again.

9. UnconventionalT

UnconventionalT New Member

Well then, maybe I'll just have to show up here a little more often then. :D

10. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

You're highly welcome ;)

11. Maffe811

Yes, please!