1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy New Year!

Discussion in 'Fairy Land' started by virtualTune, Dec 31, 2012.

1. virtualTune

virtualTune Active Member

Home Page:
    Frohes Neues to you all! Hope you are all as excited about the new year as me. What did you do tonight? Party or family or alone?

2. Shyftcode

Shyftcode Member

Attempted graphic designing occupation.
    Home Page:
    Forever alone...

Yeah, that's my night.

3. Cyrilshark

Cyrilshark Active Member

Student
    Had a great time at a party. Didn't think I would, but I did. :)

4. virtualTune

Home Page:
    James the party-boy? xD
    I had to babysit Luna :D

5. Shyftcode

Shyftcode Member

Home Page:
    I actually ended up having a rather pleasant night, thanks to Sky.

I'm optimistic about this coming year.

and as a sidenote, did anyone make new year resolutions?

6. Cyrilshark

Cyrilshark Active Member

Student
    Who's Luna, VT?

I have a cat named Luna :)

7. Shyftcode

Shyftcode Member

Home Page:
    I always liked that name, though I've never had a pet i could name that. And I'm too young to have a kid :D

8. sky-fyre

sky-fyre Active Member

Luna is cute :D

Technically you're not too young, but don't have one now, please xD You liarr you said you weren't optimistic.

I didn't even notice anything different being in the new year, haha. Except now I'm going to have issues writing the date on my homework.

9. Shyftcode

Shyftcode Member

Home Page:
    I wasn't, then I got a phone call.

I know, not technically too young, but its too young for me personally, how's that? XD

10. sky-fyre

sky-fyre Active Member

A phone call. How quaint. :3

That works :)

11. virtualTune

Home Page:
    @Mike, could you give me the number that called you? :p

@James, Luna is my dog. She is quite scared of fireworks.

I have one major resolution, which is to get a motorcycle license and possibly buy a bike. Mind you that I have never sat on one yet, so maybe once i take lessons I may change my mind. But at least it will satisfy my thirst of trying it out.

12. Shyftcode

Shyftcode Member

Home Page:
    I love motorcycles, I've had a dirt bike since I was ten, it was one of those things that was always a part of my life. My family didn't have alot of money, and the fact that my father bought a new motorcycle for my brother and I every two or three years put a huge financial strain, but he always said it was worth it.

I look to get my license down here in Florida and get a bike, but for now I'm content with the scooter my neighbor is lending me, close enough, ya know?

Anyways, the phone call was about a commission I did for a Sea Scout Ship I did a day or two ago. A few other ships saw it, liked it, and have requested I work on their emblems/logos/whatever. I could have a strong five thousand headed my way in the next few months thanks to this, and a huge doorway is being opened for my graphics career. I just have to get better with Inkscape or find a way to get Illustrator for cheap (ifyouknowwhatimean.jpg.

13. Cyrilshark

Cyrilshark Active Member

Student
    I quite dislike motorcycles to be honesty. Not riding them, I haven't before. But I just feel like they're pretty foolish to ride. Driving is itself risky as it is, without taking away everything that will keep you alive in an accident (read: the car). However, there's nothing more stupid than not wearing gear, so I hope you do that much. :)

My resolution would probably be continue learning more about the arts, theatre in general, and try to get in as many shows as possible. I've just discovered it last year, and it's my passion in life now.

14. Shyftcode

Shyftcode Member

Home Page:
    I've got a cousin like you ^^ On the motorcycle issue anyways, she thinks theater is gay :p

My resolutions (I have two) would be
    [strike]1.Become a supervillain with unlimited funds and take over the world.[/strike]
    [strike]1. Find Sasquatch.[/strike]
    [strike]1. Become famous.[/strike]
    Dangit, these are all last year's completed resolutions...

1. Get a girlfriend.
    2. Get decent internet.

I know, kinda pathetic, but yaknow, it doesn't have to be big and great :p

15. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

Dude [strike]Mike[/strike] Bane I can't call you mike without thinking you're mikethedj that's awesome! 5k is HUGE! Best luck to you man!

I had a party over at my house for new year's eve, 'twas quite good ;)
    About resolutions: I've got an A4 sized paper full of resolutions. I guess there are about 30 or 40 over all. I got them down to very small chunks in order to check as many boxes as possible ;) They include stuff/projects for my university, personal achievements like learning a specific song on my guitar etc. Most of it could be substituted for "DON'T BE LAZY!" but as I said, I like to X out things ;D

And finally: Motorcycles! They're awesome to ride, and stupidly dangerous in the wrong hands. vT, if you do get your license, please for the love of god learn to drive on wet/snowy streets, and don't underestimate the stupidity of other people. Those 2 things did cost me some clothes and skin ;)

16. Shyftcode

Shyftcode Member

Home Page:
    Who doesn't like checking stuff off of a list?

Snowy streets aren't bad after you've ridden on a lightly sand dusted road, terrible traction and almost impossible to turn/stop quickly. I dislocated my shoulder trying to make a turn too sharply, it was the only time I've ever had a real hospital worthy injury on a motorcycle.
    Though, and this may sound weird, I loved the crash. Everything seemed to go into slow motion when I realized what I'd done. I could hear my heartbeat and everything seemed muffled, the impact seemed almost soft. Then the pain set in and I got in the car and drove to the emergency room XD

17. sky-fyre

sky-fyre Active Member

I like bikes...my mountain bike, that is.. :)

Uh oh, Bane, I really hope you don't try it on purpose xD

Screw New Year's resolutions :D I never did em, and I'd never manage to fulfil them anyway. I've already got my work cut out for me, though, because of previously-made goals.

1. Get into undergrad architecture at one of my top choice schools, and get my Bachelor's.
    2. Get my Master's in architecture.
    3. Build my frickin computer and enjoy it for the six months before uni.
    4. Do more freehand drawings for my portfolio.
    5. Ace my senior year with LOTS of flying colours.
    6. I want better internet, too.
    7. Visit some internet friends in real life!
    8. Maybe do a bit of freelance web design on the side for a bit of cash? I dunno.

It's a lot, and I probably have more, but as you can see, it's not all meant to be fulfiled in a single year ;)

18. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

I've been a motorcycle rider for over 30 years now (commuting on bike). I don't underestimate the stupidity of other people, but somehow all my accidents(*) were at least partially due to my own :) There is a proverb that says: "Stupid, old, biker: pick any two."

Statistics aren't too good for the 25-29 (old enough to afford a bike, not mature enough to ride one?) and the 40-45 (midlife crisis bikers). If you wait long enough, cancer and heart attacks become a more likely cause of death than bike accidents.

(*) 3 or 4 involving a car... none ever took me to the hospital (worst one was a cracked rib)

19. virtualTune

Home Page:
    About the motorcycle stuff: first of all, I will be wearing my gear at all times, no doubt! Simply because I love anything leather xD
    There is a good chance that I might have an accident and i understand that the outcome could be more brutal than witha car. However, a bike is much more appealing to me due to the fact that a fast bike is a lot cheaper than a fast bike. I am not 100% sure yet which bike I want to start out with but it is one of two :) I will likely be driving year round, so I will take classes and stuff accordingly to ensure I have maximum control over my bike at all times. I am sorry to say this but I am kind of a speed nut. I stay within the legal limits, but the autobahn... =D well its good fun. I think of myself as a safe but aggressive (somewhat contradicting) car driver. I have been driving cars for a little over 5 years and I think it will take a few years ona bike as well efore I dare to crack the magic 250 <3 Don't worry though, I will never attempt any stunts like wheelies and what not. I think people that do this on open roads are just plain stupid!

20. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

Real fun on bike is on windy roads (this is also what requires some skill). The pleasure of riding fast on a highway is very short (it requires excellent physical condition, very few people on a bike can outspeed a police chase car for that reason). And when you ride at 250kmh, a truck passing another truck in front of you (you aren't visible when they start) makes a wall into which you ride at 150kmh.