1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halo Wallpaper 1680x1050

Discussion in 'Large Art' started by Mikey666, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Mikey666

Mikey666 New Member

This is my newest piece of work, please tell me what you think and be honest ! :)

2. virtualTune

virtualTune Active Member

Home Page:
    honestly: there are a lot of colours, try to keep it to a maximum of three. the effect is somewhat nice but overused, and you should, imo, leave at least one subject (or part of a subject) in focus without effects other than maybe lighting.
    Your light source is in the top left but there are reflections on the renders from many different sides. they should throw shadows on each other.

I think you should drop that one and try a different one with only one render. You can still use the effect. Also when your light source is not white, some of that colour will influence the color reflected off the render.

Keep us up to date, don't stop GIMPing!

3. Mikey666

Mikey666 New Member

Thanks for the feedback, i'll make some improvements in the future. 8)

4. virtualTune

Home Page:
    Any time. We are here to help and make you a better gimper. But you will also learn some important critiquing skillz and other art related skills. Btw. Did you introduce yourself yet? If not, please do so in the introduction section. :)

5. Mikey666

Mikey666 New Member

I did introduce myself ;)

6. gimpeRaven

gimpeRaven Member

a college student, a Gimper and a gamer
    Home Page:
    The text is great and I like what it wants to convey. There are lighting problems in the image but adjusting it to low and good placement will enhance its effect. The renders are also blurry. Just remember that for anything that lacks means that there's a space for improvement. You will do good in future Gimping. :wilber:

7. Scrapie

Scrapie Member

Home Page:
    Wow ! I really like the idea with the "Never stand alone" and those 3 guys in the middle ! Just the execution is not that good :D

Remove those white spots and do some more space-looking background =) Maybe follow this tutorial:

http://www.gimpusers.com/tutorials/starfield-tutorial.html Combining tutorials is really awesome !

For the light source in the upper right... delete the whole thing you actually got :D Take your gradient tool with white radial gradient set and do sth. which acts like a sun or sth like that. Duplicate this and set it on dodge =D you will get something nice looking :) play with this a bit. After adding this lightsource you could put in some effect c4ds (just google, or planetrender, or search in deviantart for "effect c4ds").

The 3 guys in the middel.. don't really know what you did with them... displace filter? Anyway. remove this effect. they're the focal, so they should be ... don't lknow... do not apply effects like them on the focal (in my opinion). And get rid of the 3 heads at the top. They don't look that good =D

I really like the clouds at the bottom, although they could need some more work.. dont really know what, but im sure you will get any improvements =D For example its to much grey at their feets... maybe put there some more white or more black clouds.

And finally, with the effect c4d, add gradient mapping ! (I think the gradient "Skyline polluted" will look great :D Gradient Maps rock ! If you dont know what Gradient Maps are here are some tutorials:

Introduction to Gradient Maps from David
    Gradient Maps Tutorial by Raven
    I made some Smudge Prefabs, but if you download them you will find a .pdf where I explain Gradient Maps and some other things. This may be also interesting for you =)

I guess, thats all :D But, I have to say again that I really like the idea, and that you did well for one of your first works :D Im sure you will become "good". Have a lot of fun here @ Gimper and welcome.

Cheers
    Scrapie

Edit: Oh, get rid of the watermark in the bottom right. Put an invisible/hidden watermark by creating a new textlayer which repeats your text all over the image and set the opacity of the layer to 1. You won't see anything, but if you play around with the Contrast and Brightness your text will be visible :)

8. Mikey666

Mikey666 New Member

Thanks all for the feedback I will take it all into account, hopefully it'll look awesome when I remake it. Oh and about the C4D's I don't know how to render them as they all have white backgrounds, I've tried colour to Alpha and selected white but then the C4D is slightly opaque :(. If anyone can help me with this please do !

9. Scrapie

Scrapie Member

Home Page:
    Sure, this is pretty easy :D C4ds mosty have black background :D Just do color to alpha and choose the background image.

Or just change the layermode to screen :D you will se :p

10. Maffe811

Maffe811 The forum pet Staff Member

he did!
    cyril and i got all carried away over the norweigan currency!

11. Mikey666

Mikey666 New Member

12. Mikey666

Mikey666 New Member

I took all the feedback on board and came up with this:
    I'd like to thank you all for the great help you gave ! :)

13. virtualTune

Home Page:
    looks much better but PLEASE respect what i said about colours! try this one in black and white, it might look better imo!

14. Mikey666

Mikey666 New Member

I will make another version in black and white to see what looks better but atm im on my laptop which doesn't have gimp :eek:

15. gimpeRaven

gimpeRaven Member

a college student, a Gimper and a gamer
    Home Page:
    Not bad! There are some improvements. The color is purple though so VT's guide will help. Gimping really consumes time but there's a product always.
    @Scrapie - I'm also clicking on the links! and I've just discovered the existence of c4ds.. Thanks for them ;D
    @Mikey666 nice sig you have there. How did the upper part became transparent? ^-^

16. Mikey666

Mikey666 New Member

I found a tutorial on Gimptalk, I would link it to you but their site seems to be down.

17. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

That happens from time to time, server problems ...