Gimp Themes v1.0 for Windows

Discussion in 'Other' started by Gimper, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rod

Rod Moderator Staff Member

Which theme do you want? If it's aurora Partha is going to compile a new build with the new aurora dll file included.
    I also asked him to add a few new themes named Eqinox i am sure you guys will love. Just be patient.

Meanwhile grab this set of themes and place the folders inside .gimp-2.8\themes folder and restart Gimp-2.8.Then go to Edit>Pref>Themes and select any one. These are set with the new GTK version.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36057148/GTK2%20Themes%20for%20GIMP%202.8.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36057148/GTK2%2 ... %202.8.zip</a>

Also see this post for further options with these zipped themes. (image menus). :)
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4260</a>

2. Maffe811

Maffe811 The forum pet Staff Member

Haha, this kid comes in with his fancy smancy workaround and good ol' Rod laying down the land (is that right... ? :p )...

3. jjjjason

jjjjason New Member

Thanks rod for the update I will look forward to whats to come 8)

And Maffe811 it was fun to work out how to get gimp 2.8 looking good without Gimp Themes v1.0 and im 29 lol no kid lol nice to meet ya :p

:)

I only like to share lol 8O

4. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

Hahah :D Maffe calling somebody a kid :D
    Just for your reminder jjjjason, Maffe should be the youngest person around here with 17 years ;D

5. Maffe811

Maffe811 The forum pet Staff Member

I like figuring out stuff to, but i really like the colors that come with the partha build so im happy! :D

Who doesn't ? :D

Still more awesome then most of the others! :p
    I iz le forum pet... Damn i want my title back... :(

6. NebraskaJonesOwl

NebraskaJonesOwl New Member

Freezer Fresh Ice Cream Shoppe
    Home Page:
    Thanks guys, this helped. I had to change the path and everything, but it wasn't too hard. :)

7. Rod

Rod Moderator Staff Member

I just created this one. :)
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4784</a>

8. SpaceOctopus

SpaceOctopus New Member

So, considering I just realize this is a very old post, I'm not expecting a response, but just in case, I'm having a problem running it. It keeps telling me I'm missing a .dll file. I tried reinstalling to no avail. Is this just obsolete now with 2.8? :question:
    ~Qua

9. SpaceOctopus

SpaceOctopus New Member

I feel like such a tit now, I should have read some of the responses. Sorry bout that ^.^ ???

10. b.mugs

b.mugs New Member

when i try to open the program from my dektop an error comes up and says that I can not find libatk-1.0-0.dll and to reinstall. Can somebdy please help with telling me what to do! everthing is in the default folder and I reinstalled both programs and didnt move any files?? i would be very happy if someone could help! ??? :)

11. Techer

Techer New Member

Re: How to install GIMP Themes V1 on 2.8

Hi guys, I tried experimenting with the plugin, until it worked for gimp 2.8. :wilber: Watch out that you dont confuse the gimp 2 and the gimp 2.0 folders. Install the plugin as usual. Go to Program files > Gimp 2.0 > Bin. Select and copy all three files there. Paste these files into Program files > Gimp 2 > Bin. Paste the files there. Finally, copy the files from Program files > Gimp 2.0 > share > themes. Paste these files into Program Files > Gimp 2 > share > themes.

When you launch the gimp theme application, do not use the shortcuts!. Instead, go to Program Files > Gimp 2 >Bin and launch Gimpthemes-v1.0 as an admininstartor. Do not click the shortcut with the same name, click the actual .exe program. :)

12. Whozone

Whozone New Member

Why can't I see the dowload button ?

13. CCV

CCV New Member

The default installation path doesn't match the location of later version(s) of GIMP. It would be nice to have the option to change where to install it.

GIMP 2.8, for example, would be C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin (instead of \GIMP-2.0\bin) - under XP, that is. That is where all the .dll's are. Likewise, the bundled themes need to go in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\themes

I moved (copied/pasted) the installed files from their original location to the relevant directories for my current GIMP installation. AND,edited shortcut/launcher Target to "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\Gimpthemes-v1.0.exe" :idea:

It works! 8) For XP, as I say.
    Currently using Blue Heart from <a class="postlink" href="http://art.gnome.org/themes/gtk2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://art.gnome.org/themes/gtk2</a> so it seems to be doing exactly what I thought it should. It is really great to have access to the complete range there! (Wouldn't mind figuring how to modify a few things tho..)

Thanks Gimper. Very nice! Specially like the additional Custom Font feature too - half blind old bat.

14. CCV

CCV New Member

In addition to my previous post:

Gimp Themes creates a bunch of .dll's in C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gtk-2.0\2.10.0\engines.
    It seems to me now that they are needed for Theme Selector to display properly. They can easily be migrated to C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gtk-2.0\2.10.0\engines.

Use Edit/Select All, in the source folder, then Copy selected files and Paste in the target folder.
    I guess Move selected items would be ok too, seeing that (with other changes already made) they are possibly no longer needed in the original location.

I can only describe the process I used. It applies to XP, but I hope the general idea might be some help.

15. CCV

CCV New Member

Oh, and.. One more thing:
    It was only because I had a clean install of 2.8 that I could clearly identify folders/files created by Gimp Themes, and, thereafter, by able to migrate them to to GIMP 2.8.

I am thoroughly enjoying my new theme, thank you very much! ;D 8) Along with a few teaks I made... I guess, once you can figure out which parts go where, you could modify it into an almost brand new theme. Could be fun.

It's a great little program - for allowing to change font size alone.
    I didn't try the Change Path workaround, It's for 7 and I'm on XP, and, tbh, I don't feel comfortable about messing with stuff I don't understand properly.

Personally, if it is possible, I would like to see it packaged in a different type of installer - one where you have the opportunity to choose installation path, or, as some to, automatically detect current GIMP installation.

It is too good to lose!

16. CCV

CCV New Member

Well.. It's looking for a whole bunch of .dll's, as it happens, not just the one. I'm posting this as a test before going into detail about how I got it to work for GIMP 2.8.

17. CCV

CCV New Member

I notice a couple of proposed workarounds already. One is for Windows 7 and I'm on XP. Plus, I don't like messing with stuff, such as Environment Path, when I don't fully understand what is required to do and could so easily stuff up my system. The other one, even the author seems unsure it will work... Anyway, it is not necessary to reinstall 2.6.

Here is what I found:
    With a clean install of 2.8 and no trace of previous versions anywhere, Gimp Themes creates a Program File - C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0, as it appears in XP. (The exact path will be different in later Windows versions, or so I gather. I think the general idea wouldn't be much different tho.)
    Now, the problem is, my current GIMP installation is C:\Program Files\GIMP 2 and that is where the required .dll's are. But there's more... And here is my fix:

ALL the files that Gimp Themes creates can be moved, or copied, from Program Files\GIMP-2.0\... to the corresponding sub-directories in Program Files\GIMP 2\...
    Then, you also need to change the Target for your Gimp Themes Shortcut - Desktop or All Programs menu (or both) whichever you prefer.
    Under XP, right-click on the Shortcut and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, edit the "Target:" entry to read ...\GIMP 2\... instead of ...\GIMP-2.0\... (or whatever is correct for your configuration) being sure leave the rest of the line as it is. Might need to change "Start in:" the same too, depending...
    Hope that's some help.

It works! yay
    For me it does anyway, and I am currently enjoying (a slightly tweaked version of) BlueHeart (downloaded from <a class="postlink" href="http://art.gnome.org/themes/gtk2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://art.gnome.org/themes/gtk2</a>). Thank you very much! There's a few others I might like to try as well.. I like messing around and modifying them too.

Actually, there is something more than cosmetic value to this.
    There is no way in GIMP to change the font size the way you can with Gimp Themes. For someone kinda half blind, like me, 11 points is just that much easier to see than the default 10.

What I would like to see, if it were possible, is a different type of installer for this program. It would be great if you had the option to change installation path, in the process - or, have setup detect your current GIMP installation instead of automatically installing to a predetermined folder.

18. CCV

CCV New Member

Something's crook. My first few posts didn't show up until now.
    Well, I guess a bit of repetition didn't kill anybody.
    Looks like Techer beat me to it anyhow. I didn't see that post either.

@ Whozone,
    I can't see it either - no idea why - there as download link in a post at the end of page 1. Maybe try that.

19. CCV

CCV New Member

@ Techer,
    Oh, yeah.. Go to Program Files > Gimp 2 >Bin and launch Gimpthemes-v1.0. You can also create a new desktop Shortcut from there, I guess. I prefer to keep my desktop clean as possible, so I'd use All Programs/GIMP/Gimp Themes and just change the Target.
    Likely I don't need to launch Gimp Themes very often again, except it's the only way now to get back to the "MS-Windows" Default look - and one or two themes I can't access directly from GIMP.

20. kritan

kritan New Member

ok where are the zip files with themes.?, it does not work in my pc. win 64bit. some dll is missing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.