Gimp Themes v1.0 for Windows

Discussion in 'Other' started by Gimper, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maffe811

Maffe811 The forum pet Staff Member

Question:
    Do anyone who had a sucsessfull atempt use 2.7.**** ?
    Cause i dont know if it works in 2.7
    And Overload, i had the same stuff like you!

But since i didnt neeeeeeed 2.7 i just went back 2.6.9...or 10.. whatever!

2. Bucic

Bucic Member

Me :)
    I use it without any problems since the release. The only problem is that I can't use Single Window Mode because the windows "fall apart" on each file opening. So I don't use it. You may ask what 2.7 specific features I use. The answer is - none :) Well, there is one. In 2.6.x GIMP Toolbars would pop on top of my othere opened windows in Win 7 even if the GIMP was minimized. It doesn't happen in 2.7.x anymore. So you can say it's the only reason for me. But to be fair I use GIMP for primitive works only so e.g. I'm simply not in a position to appreciate the new brush dynamics.

3. Bucic

Bucic Member

Re: Installing Gimp Themes for Gimp-2 not in default directory

Can anybody help me? Of 90% of themes I tried buttons appear too square, blocky (elevated/deep)... so like Windows 3.11.

[​IMG]

The only themes that gave me nice looking buttons etc. were:
    AluminiumAlloy
    VistaGrey

Any thoughts?

4. Bucic

Bucic Member

Bump? ???

5. sagteck

sagteck Member

Home Page:
    It is using GTK+. That's just how it is. It's not a Gimp problem but GTK+.

6. Bucic

Bucic Member

I was hoping for some solutions. I even tried to 'plant' metacity folders from the themes that do give me nice rounded and flat buttons into the problematic themes but with no avail :(

7. Bucic

Bucic Member

Re: Installing Gimp Themes for Gimp-2 not in default directory

I followed your guide but it didn't give me working themes. I finally got it working yesterday but I didn't record my actions step by step so now I can only suggest. Generally the set of actions I did comprised of:
    1. Steps as per instructions at the beginning of this very topic.
    2. Uninstallation of GTK runtime for windows.
    3. Steps as per your instructions I quoted here.
    4. Installation of GTK runtime for windows.
    At that point I got themes working (using the application mentioned at the beginning of this very topic) but only two of them available instead of over 10. I did a file search for one of the themes name and I've found out that there's only one folder on my disk that contained only two themes including the one I was searching for and it was c:\Program Files (x86)\GTK2-Runtime\share\themes\ . I copied all my themes (folders) I wanted to try there and that's it.

2. Install Gimp Themes for Windows.
    3. Copy
    C:\Program Files (x86)\gimp-2.0\bin\Gimpthemes-v1.0.exe
    to
    the bin sub-directory of your gimp installation. (create shortcut to this exe)

If it's not there (C:\Program Files (x86)\gimp-2.0\bin\), do a file search and find it.

3.a. Perform a file search
    for *.theme or raleigh and find the themes store location. The location will be *\share\themes

3.b. Copy
    theme folders from ? (see p.3.a.).
    to
    c:\Program Files (x86)\GTK2-Runtime\share\themes\

4. Launch Gimp Themes from the created shortcut.
    5. Have GIMP closed, select a theme, APPLY it! Launch GIMP and check if the theme has been applied. If not, do not do anything random - simply report here.
    6. Even in case of unsuccessful installation you may note that fonts or scroll bars width did change. Note it down when reporting problems.
    7. If you managed to get the themes working, share your procedure with others! :)

[​IMG]

Theme used along with Windows 7 Frame Border border padding minimal tweak.
    [​IMG]

8. Rod

Rod Moderator Staff Member

And this will work for both 2.6.11 and gimp 2.7.1 simultaneously?
    That's where i find a problem using themes.You can only use it in one installation of gimp at a time.
    Otherwise it seems to screw up both theme gtkrc files.

I have both installed

9. Bucic

Bucic Member

"And this will work for both 2.6.11 and gimp 2.7.1 simultaneously?"
    Most probably but I won't be checking it ;)

10. dmorris68

dmorris68 New Member

After struggling with this for awhile, I finally got it to work on Win7 x64 with Gimp 2.6.11 installed to the non-default folder D:\Tools\Graphics\GIMP-2.0. After starting over several times, this worked for me:

1. Install Gimp Themes 1.0 and let it install to the default C:\Program Files(x86)\GIMP-2.0 location, even if you don't have Gimp installed there.
    2. After it's installed, navigate to C:\Program Files(x86)\GIMP-2.0 and copy/cut ALL folders (bin, etc, lib, shared, etc.). Just Ctrl-A, Ctrl-X from inside the GIMP-2.0 directory.
    3. Navigate to your Gimp installation folder. In my case, D:\Tools\Graphics\GIMP-2.0. Ctrl-V to paste, and allow it to overwrite all files. I'm not sure if it's overwriting newer files or not, I didn't examine the file specs for each one -- I just let it overwrite them all.
    4. Run Gimpthemes-v1.0.exe from the Gimp installation's bin folder. Choose your theme and the preview should be accurate (all fonts and buttons displayed correctly). If the themes don't look right, something was copied wrong.
    5. Click OK, and you'll be asked to confirm the overwrite C:\Users\<name>\.gtkrc-2.0. Click Yes.
    6. That's it -- run Gimp and it should have the new theme.

Notes and observations:

• I did NOT have to install Gtk for Windows. Just Gimp.
    • I have no GIMP-2.0 or GTK folders remaining under C:\Program Files(x86). I don't know for sure, but if you leave stuff there, it may conflict.
    • The theme installer is broken in that it partially ignores trying to install it to the non-default folder. Some parts will still go to C:\Program Files(x86)\GIMP-2.0 regardless of what folder you specify. Just let it install completely there, and then completely move it to the Gimp install folder. I suppose I could have written a batch script to move only the newer files and not overwrite any thing newer. I may look at doing this in the future, and perhaps repackaging the installer since Gimper doesn't seem to be active with updating the installer.

[​IMG]

11. Rod

That's really cool how you set the opacity around the image window and other dialogs.How did you do that?

12. dmorris68

dmorris68 New Member

I'm assuming you're referring to the window borders? I thought that was just the standard Windows Aero Glass theme? I believe the opacity is at default settings, the only thing I remember changing is the color scheme to the darker grey.

Although it may have come from the Porsche theme pack I installed from Microsoft. To be honest I've had that for so long I don't recall if the default Aero borders were translucent, but I thought they were.

13. dmorris68

dmorris68 New Member

Bonus for you Inkscape users on Windows that want to use the same themes as Gimp. Assuming you have your Gimp theme set correctly via the above instructions, just do the following to get Inkscape to use the same theme:

1. Copy all themes from the <gimpdir>\share\themes folder to the <inkscapedir>\share\themes folder. I chose not to overwrite Inkscape's Default, Emacs, MS-Windows, and Raleigh themes, although I'm not sure if makes any difference.
    2. Copy all files from <gimpdir>\lib\gtk-2.0\2.10.0\engines to <inkscapedir>\lib\gtk-2.0\2.10.0\engines. I was careful to only overwrite older files with newer files, keeping the new Inkscape files.
    3. Edit <inkscapedir>\etc\gtk-2.0\gtkrc and find the line that starts with style "msw-default", then use the # character to comment out that line and all following lines up to and including class "*" style "msw-default" (which is the last line of the file for me). I suppose you could also delete these lines but I chose to just comment them out.
    4. That's it, now start Inkscape and it should be using the same theme as Gimp, due to using the theme specified in C:\Users\<name>\.gtkrc-2.0, same as Gimp does.
    5. If you want Inkscape to use a different theme, you should be able to edit Inkscape's gtkrc with the theme details in the format shown in C:\Users\<name>\.gtkrc-2.0. Be advised that I haven't tried this, I'm only assuming this will let you override the theme just for Inkscape. The easiest way to get this right would be to save your original C:\Users\<name>\.gtkrc-2.0 file that Gimp uses, then run Gimpthemes-v1.0.exe again to setup the theme you want for Inkscape. Allow it to overwrite the .gtkrc-2.0 file, then copy & paste the contents of that file to Inkscape's gtkrc (replacing the section you commented out in step #3). Then you can restore the .gtkrc-2.0 file you backed up, which should restore Gimp's theme. At least I think that should work, but personally I like both using the same theme so I've not tried it.

[​IMG]

14. Rod

Awesome thanks man! =)

[​IMG]

15. Rod

[​IMG]

16. Ov3rload

Ov3rload New Member

Re: Gimp Themes v1.0 for Windows(big problem)

guys still not working on me...
    i installed in the folder of gimp 1.6 bin and nothing
    i installed it in gimp 2.6.11 protable in bin and nothing
    re installed 30 time sand nothing...

plzzzz help me:(:(:(:(:(:(

17. Bucic

Bucic Member

Not exactly wise to do the same multiple times.

(If you use Windows) Try to disable Visual themes option in the GIMP*.exe properties - compatibility tab + the frame border tweak mentioned earlier and see if the new look suits you without any additional themes. If you still determined to get GTK themes working disable the option and proceed as follows:

- revert to the original state:
    preferably CLEAN uninstall GIMP, themes, GTK etc., delete leftovers and use CCleaner to get rid of registry and files leftovers too
    - install GIMP in the default location
    - pick a procedure (preferably the one provided with gimp themes package post) and stick to it
    - report then

18. Maffe811

Maffe811 The forum pet Staff Member

Im guessing thats portable...
    but does themes work then ?

19. David Wood

David Wood Active Member

Freelance graphic designer and visual effects arti
    Home Page:
    I don't think so.

20. Rod

First off which platform are you using 32 or 64?
    Also you should update to Gimp-2.6.11 regular install if possible..
    I am pretty sure themes will not install in Portable gimp.

Either way if your having problems with install it usually means you have to un-install Themes and re-install it in C:\Program Files\Themes version. (It's default directory)
    Then themes will auto find your gimp install, and install into share/themes folder for you.
    Then just launch the themes program and choose a theme. Click ok and Themes will autowrite a gtkrc-2.0 theme file for you.

NOW- if you like you can try and get themes to work for portable but you have to do a couple things first.
    1) copy and paste all the theme folders themes installs in share/themes folder, and paste them into the portable gimp share/themes folder. adding a path to preferences won't work i tried that already.
    2) copy and paste the gtkrc-2.0 file into the same folder your portable exe file is located.

That may work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.