Gimp-painter patch and pressure-sensitive brush size

Discussion in 'GIMP News' started by Xiella, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Xiella

Xiella New Member

gimp-painter or "Gimp for Painters" patch available here. It is in Japanese.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I perused all boards and didn't see a gimp-painter thread except for mac, and I am using kubuntu 9.10 - so I am making a new thread here.

I am firstly an artist and secondly a linux newbie. As an artist, I think the gimp-painter patch is fantastic, primarily because it gives me pressure-sensitive control over the minimum brush size. It also gives the mixbrush and G-pen, which are both useful to a smaller degree. However, it is only compatible with GIMP 2.6.7 and not 2.6.8. Also, the G-pen causes a segmentation fault under a very specific condition, probably a reason why the patch hasn't been included in the main software.

Question #1: The patch looks like it hasn't been updated for some time. I don't speak Japanese and I'm not sure how sourceforge works. How do I a) submit this bug to the developers of the patch? and/or b) request an update for GIMP 2.6.8?

Question #2: Does anyone know if there is an alternative to gimp-painter that provides extra control for pressure-sensitive brush size?

Thanks in advance and please let me know if I've forgotten anything or "done it wrong."

2. virtualTune

virtualTune Active Member

Home Page:
    If there is no updated patch available, you would have to merge the changes from the provided patch (the outdated one) to the latest version of GIMP. Sometimes merging can be fairly straightforward, especially if the code hasn't changed; but if the code has changed then you have to determine if the changes impact the modifications of the patch. There are tools which help with this merging, but it still is largely an interactive, manual process.

Being as there have been many improvements made to GIMP's brush handling in the last year or two, I suspect there'd be a number of conflicts arising that impact the 'gimp-painter' patches. I would expect resolving these would be a fairly daunting task for someone unfamiliar with the gimp-painter codebase.

as posted on GT! hope this kinda helps!