1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GIMP on Mac - just moved from GIMP on PC

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by mamazee, Jan 30, 2014.

1. mamazee

mamazee New Member

So, i decided to try to make peace with my husband's imac. I thought he could use it at work, but instead it became our home computer and i haven't done any digital scrapbooking in three years :( as a result. So, i figured I'd try to download and run GIMP on the imac (i know how it works, and Photoshop was too different for me)... Anyway, i open it up, open a background paper(open as layer), then open a few photos (open them as layers). Then i use the transform tool, to drag the photos where i want. This goes fine. But i want to crop the photos, or create rounded rectangles (i have not gotten very far at this point) - When i crop or clear the outside of the photos, it deletes everything. The background is completely gone. This seems bizarre. I am just working on the photo layer - why should it destroy the background? Any insight? Is this a bug? Is this just the way mac works with Gimp? how can i just work on the photo layer without damaging the background? I tried to hide the background layer while i worked on the photo, but it still deleted while it was hidden. Very frustrating! I guess i could resize etc the photos and THEN bring bring in the background, but i'm trying to work around design elements on the background paper... please help?