GIMP Mac Native with Tablet Pressure and custom tools!

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by themystician, Dec 5, 2008.

1. themystician

themystician New Member

Hi there, surfing I found this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIg8Omew9Ps
    and
    http://sourceforge.jp/projects/gimp-painter/releases/

A japanese guy is working on a fork called GIMP-Painter.
    I'm testing it and... it really works with tablet pressure ..without X11!.

I'm not a programmer so I have no idea how this guy made this, so please programmers, take a look at this, because I think it deserves the effort.

I tried the MACPPC 2.6.2 version in my macbook with 2 gigs of ram and leopard and I'm finding it quite interesting.
    It doesn't detect the tablet in preferences but it just works! (and he's developing some VERY interesting custom tools).

Hope u find this useful.
  2. themystician

themystician New Member

BTW, could anybody compile this for intel platform, please?.

I'm testing the version they posted but because it's compiled for PPC it runs very slow :'(

Oh, and I'm testing the 6.2.2 version that DOES detect the tablet in preferences (I was testing an older version in the other post).

Thanks in advance.
  3. vulture

vulture New Member

Tried it briefly on my g4 powerbook (OS 10.4.11). It starts quite well, and loads photos quickly. But the menubar does not allow any access to script-fu and related items. Perhaps I am just missing it somehow?
  4. themystician

themystician New Member

Hi,
    I just tried installing a new script-fu script and it shows where it should, so I don't really know what's your problem.

I really need an intel version :(.
  5. themystician

themystician New Member

...Could anybody help me compiling this for intel? ::) ..pleeeease?
  6. Cocoa

Cocoa New Member

I've looked, and I'm not sure if he provides the source. If you can link to the source, I suspect it would be fairly easy to work it out.
  7. themystician

themystician New Member

8. jagi

jagi New Member

Hi.

I ported Gimp-painter for Mac-Intel, the .app works fine but I I'm getting a build error:

---> Building ufraw Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graphics_ufraw/work/ufraw-0.15" && make all " returned error 2 Command output: make all-recursive Making all in po make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'. Making all in icons make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'. /usr/bin/g++-4.0 -O2 -L/opt/local/lib -o ufraw ufraw.o libufraw.a -R/opt/local/lib -Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreFoundation -L/opt/local/lib -lexiv2 -lintl -lc -liconv -lz -lexpat -L/opt/local/lib -lglib-2.0 -lintl -liconv -L/opt/local/lib -llcms -L/opt/local/lib -lpng12 -lz -L/opt/local/lib -lgtkimageview -lgtk-quartz-2.0 -lgdk-quartz-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lcairo -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lm -lpixman-1 -lfontconfig -lexpat -lfreetype -lpng12 -lz -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lintl -liconv -ltiff -ljpeg -lbz2 -lz -lintl Undefined symbols:

"_CMCloseProfile", referenced from:

_uf_get_display_profile in libufraw.a(uf_gtk.o)

"_CMFlattenProfile", referenced from:

"_CMGetProfileByAVID", referenced from:

ld: symbol(s) not found collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make[2]: *** [ufraw] Error 1 make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make: *** [all] Error 2

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: ufraw xsane sane-backends libusb Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
  9. themystician

themystician New Member

Hey that's great :D !!

It looks like Ufraw plugin isn't compiling well. Anyway, could you post the gimp package so I could try it?.

Please take a deeper look to this fork, I think it's a very good idea.

Please, help me Jagi, you're my only hope. ;)
  10. andreasw

andreasw Member

Parts of this thread has been deleted. What's up with that?
  11. themystician

themystician New Member

WTF happened here?? :question:
  12. andreasw

andreasw Member

No idea. Something fishy. Anyways, any updates? :D
  13. themystician

themystician New Member

I've been trying and I managed to compile a native version of gimp doing:

- install xcode (download from apple)
    - install macports (download from macports.org)
    - Open a terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and copy paste:
    sudo port clean --all all
    sudo port install cairo +quartz +no_x11
    sudo port install poppler +quartz +no_x11
    sudo port install gimp2 +quartz +no_x11 +no_python

Following these steps, it will build a gimp native version (it will take hours (literally)).

You can build a native version of gimp this way, BUT with NO tablet support, and I don't know how to fix it :(.
    I don't know how to create a .dmg neither. The instructions from gimp.app just don't work.
    But well, I didn't even look at creating a DMG if I don't have tablet support (I don't want GIMP without tablet support).

That's all for now. Help would be appreciated.
  14. ~HP

~HP New Member

Home page:
    I don't want Gimp without Python… ???
  15. themystician

themystician New Member

Ok... I GOT IT!!

I got gimp running native and with the custom tools (I don't know about python).

Instructions:

Install Xcode from apple
    install macports
    download build_gimp-painter-_macosx.tar.gz from http://sourceforge.jp/projects/gimp-painter/releases/
    Copy build_gimp-painter-_macosx.tar.gz to the Desktop
    Uncompress build_gimp-painter-_macosx.tar.gz, this will create gimp-painter--work in the desktop
    cd gimp-painter--work
    open a terminal in this directory
    type:
    sudo build-gimp-painter-

now wait for 4-5h and you'll get a native gimp.

Now I only need to know how to build a dmg from this.

Spread the word and try it!
  16. andreasw

andreasw Member

Cool! Can't wait to try it!
  17. themystician

themystician New Member

Ok, I compiled it and it got some mayor bugs.
    It runs ok, but the layer palette doesn't work, there's a but when resizing the main window, the keyboard doesn't work ok neither, the brush tracking is horrible...
    I guess we have to wait until a new version of gtk and the patch arrives.

Sad news for now. :'(
  18. lisanet

lisanet Member

I'm really very interesseted in getting more answers or opinions, why some users want a "native" GIMP version?

And because this is a developer forum...

... what will be the advantage? GIMP is developed on top of GTK and as far as I can see, this will still continue to be so, as long as GIMP is maintained. Why? GTK is a very basic library, which provides the widgets for the whole user interface.

So there are, from a developing point of view, a few program layers:
    - GIMP
    - GTK
    - X11
    - Aqua

If you drop X11, you still have GTK. And GTK is responsible for the user interface and the functionality of GIMP, _not_ X11.

If now one suggests to replace GTK with something more related to Aqua... thanks for volunteering. You have choosen to code a more or less new application, like somebody else already did for "Pixelmator" and "Seashore".

So, what will be the advantage? Why a "native" GIMP and not using any other apps if a user insists on a "pure Aqua interface"?

-skl
  19. themystician

themystician New Member

1. NO need for x11
    2. Faster application (maybe) with GTK and no X11.
    3. Better integration with OSX (shortcuts, top bar, copy+paste between applications, dragging... etc)
    4. Lighter installation, not need of checking for updates of X11 anymore.

And that's all I can think about it now. Lisanet, since you're listening this thread... please, try to compile your nice version of gimp with the gimp-painter patch :D .

For now, I think your version of Gimp for OSX is one of the best if not the best, it's the most complete right now (i think). But I also think a more OSX alike application would be GREAT for all of us. No x11 ugly windows, no xmapmodding... etc, just open a dmg, drag and drop... and WORK.

I use Photoshop a lot, and I know GIMP is NOT photoshop, but with X11, I think, you lose a lot of usability. I had a lot of hangs because of X11, hangs while opening a file for example. And as I said, I need to WORK, not to deal with stupid errors, so forgetting about X11 might be a great step forward.

Working on GTK should be the best thing to do.

All this, of course, is my humble opinion, I thank you all for your great work and I mean no offense. I just want a better/faster tool, if possible.
  20. lisanet

lisanet Member

Thank you for your answer. Your posting is one of only a few, which deals with facts, not with fiction.

So let's have a look at them.

yep, that's right. But IMO, as Leopard is shipped by default with X11, and GIMP automatically launches X11, it doesn't hurt too much, if GIMP uses X11.
    in theory this is true. But GIMP is an interactive program, so you won't take notice of a few more CPU cycles consumed by X11.
    And that's the point, that I'm very sure, will not be the case.

GTK (and all the other needed libraries) will be still not "native" in a sense that they use core OS X technoligies and libraries. Of course, GTK can be compiled without X11 support, but this will only translate some GTK function calls to Carbon/Aqua calls. And as all of the behaviour of a certain widget is still implemented in the GTK libraries, you will not get more out of it, and most widgets will behave different than their OS X counterparts. And that's mainly the cause why some standard OS X features will not work with GTK comiled against Carbon/Aqua. GTK has it's own printing dialogs, it's own event handling (needed for drag&drop) and just need some other API of drivers to get acces to various hardware devices (that's why there's no support for grahic tablets.) You'll have to code your own device drivers to do so. (that's what the japanese guys did)
    X11 currently offers most of this features, so why should one write new code to do the same things?
    - you can configure GIMP/X11 to use any shortcut you like (without using xmodmap!)
    - cut/copy/paste between apps is currently supported in GIMP. In 10.5.7, X11 will a have more capabilities to cut/copy/paste between X11 and OS X apps
    - drag&drop currently works on dropping images onto a running GIMP icon
    Since 10.5.3 there's no need to update X11 separately. X11 which comes with 10.5.3+ will be sufficient.

Sorry, but I won't do that. Do you want to do this? Willing to join the project?
    I have only a limited amount of time to work on GIMP on OS X and there are so many more things to do, which are IMO more useful: make help available for all plugins (greycstoration, wavelet decompose, ...), update to GTK 2.16.x (I still get some very strange errors...), develop some usable and extendable plugin compiling environment (so that it is possible to develop and compile plugins without first compiling the whole GIMP on OS X source tree)

you can do this by now.
    Xmodmap has to be changed only once. teh defaults commands too. With 10.5.7 the script "change-x11-dpi" can be dropped...

I'm not a GTK core developer. And as I said before, it's really a lot of work to put all pieces together and build a working GIMP application bundle, you know, updating the GimpPorts repository, compiling it with MacPorts, fixing compile errors, patching sources so that OS X paths will be used (no dot files), testing this on Leopard and Tiger systems and on Intel and PPC Macs.
    So, If I now will work on GTK to write some OS X needed stuff (drivers for tablets and scanners, some more integrated event handling, implementing OS X drag&drop ) who will do the other tasks? And, I first have to learn more about the internals of Carbon and Aqua. (you know, I'm very familiar with Linux systems, C sources and these things, but I still have no clue about objective C and the whole OS X SDKs)

But, what about you?

-skl