Gimp 2.6 for Mac?

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by apfelnase, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Auria

Auria Member

Utility Window could probably be turned off by default. On Linux this is done so there's less entries in the task bar. Since OS X uses a dock instead of a task bar, utility windows bring very little more
  2. duhh

duhh New Member

Dropping a file onto the gimp dock icon while gimp is not running, opens Gimp and the file as expected.

Dropping to the dock or to gimps main window while gimp is running does nothing.

Clicked the (F1) Help, and at first I got a dialog saying that help was not installed and a button to choose to read online.
    Clicking "Read Online" freezes gimp and didn't redirect me to a webpage like I thought it should.

Now if I click help gimp freezes and I have to kill it and X11.

..and sorry but right click menus displaying behind the layers toolbox and save dialogs being pushed almost entirely off the screen is not a feature.
    No biggie, just kinda confusing when thats the default setting.
  3. lisanet

lisanet Member

- trying to get drag&drop working, some gimp sources need patching
    - gegl sources had to be patched to not use dotfiles

... more will follow soon

as I mentioned, this should be discussed with the gimp developers / xquartz-devel
  4. andreasw

andreasw Member

5. DMXell

DMXell New Member

Thank you for building 2.6 Lisanet. I have a few bugs however.

First, as mentioned above the utility Window appears above the menus (see andreasw's picture). Secondly, the right control/command key on my keyboard doesn't work. This is important if you like to remap keys (for example, control+, for the preferences which can be done with one hand now needs two). Three, try and make the utility windows disappear if Gimp/X11 aren't active (like Photoshop).
  6. lisanet

lisanet Member

ok, I just uploaded the "final" release. ;D

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2947

Drag&drop now works, but the help system is somehow broken ... sorry. You can still access Gimp's online manual by selecting the menu entry "Help -> GIMP online".

You can change this in "Preferences"

This is IMO related to the XQuartz. What version of XQuartz is installed on your system? Did you remap your keys in "~/.Xmodmap"? On my system (XQuartz 2.3.1) right command / right control is the same as left command / left control. I'm using this "~/.Xmodmap"
    Code:
    clear Mod2
    clear control
    keycode 63 = Control_L
    keycode 67 = Control_L
    keycode 70 = Control_R
    keycode 71 = Control_R
    add control = Control_L Control_R

And this is the link to XQuartz 2.3.1: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

... just to clear things up. I'm not a gimp developer, sorry. :(
    So IMO you should discuss this with the gimp folks at http://developer.gimp.org/
  7. Auria

Auria Member

Great :D
    When will we see your macports files?

About utility windows not disappearing, this is to be discussed with XQuartz folks. Utility windows normally disappear when the app is in the background on OS X, so again this is an XQuartz problem.
  8. DMXell

DMXell New Member

I know you can change it in preferences. I'm saying it shouldn't be allowed to be turned on in the first place or fixed.

I have the latest xquartz and I am using the modmap.
  9. smoke_tetsu

smoke_tetsu New Member

Home page:
    If you look in interface builder you'll see It's actually optional whether any window disappears when the application is out of focus. It can be changed on a window by window basis.... at least in native applications. Just making a window a utility window doesn't automatically make it so.

I think the problem here is that GIMP menus aren't native menus. Rather they are handled like normal windows. So the new way the "utility" windows are setup which seems to have always on top set will always be on top of those menu like windows. So either those utility windows need to get reverted to the old behavior or the menu windows need to be changed so they have always on top priority OVER those utility windows.

That wont be a problem in native gimp since it uses the native menubar. :p
  10. lisanet

lisanet Member

... here they are. ;D

Since there are now 10 Portfiles and some source code patches, I've made a complete build environment. IMO this has some advantages:
    - it's much easier to provide own Portfiles and keep them running especially after doing a MacPorts selfupdate
    - new Portfiles, which are not in MacPorts already can be used (Gimp 2.6 depends on GEGL and BABL. Currently there are no official Portfiles)
    - it's easier to provide own source code patches, see above
    - most of the "not needed" ports (gnome, bonobono, various py25-something and others) could be dropped. This speeds up compiling and makes the Gimp.app bundle cleaner and smaller. Less dependencies give less bugs
    - it will be easier to patch all ports so that they compile as "universal" (not realised yet)
    - it uses MacPorts, so we have a well known basis

But first, some warnings ;)

This is _NOT_ a "Howto compile Gimp on your own" manual for users. It's intended for developers who want to help providing pre-built Gimp packages for users. You need some knowledge about shell scripting, patching sources and managing MacPorts repositories.
    There's no guarantee that this will work on your system.
    Use it at your own risk. Improper use may damage your system, so you'll be warned.

Still there?

Let's go.

First, please move anyting in your ~/src/macports to a save place. Uninstall MacPorts or move it out of the way, so that it's not used if you call the port command. We will soon build a new one.

The environment contains three basic parts. Scripts, the GimpPorts file hierarchy and an application template.

You find this posting and the downloads at: http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Developer.html

Download them to your ~/src/macports and extract them there.

A "ls -l" sould give you something like:

Code:
    drwxr-xr-x  4 simone  simone   136  7 Jul 22:53 Gimp-app template
    drwxr-xr-x  6 simone  simone   204  5 Okt 10:55 GimpPorts
    -rwxr-xr-x@ 1 simone  simone  5113  4 Okt 23:09 gp-app
    -rwxr-xr-x@ 1 simone  simone  3255  5 Okt 11:43 gp-makeports
    -rwxr-xr-x@ 1 simone  simone   359  5 Okt 11:21 gp-prep

The scripts

I've tried to document the scripts as well as I could, so please have a look at the sources to see the details.

gp-prep
    Use this script to ensure that the symlink /tmp/skl/Gimp.app points to the correct directory.

gp-makeports
    This script downloads the newest MacPorts sources, compiles it, does a selfupdate, and integrates the GimpPorts directory tree. You have to run it twice (more later).

gp-app
    After building gimp (see below) this script makes a Gimp application bundle using the provided template

Gimp-app template

This is the template for the application bundle. I've updated the scripts:
    "script"
    Leopard only (Tiger will follow soon). fixed a typo. No new functionality.
    "openDoc"
    Leopard only. fixed a typo. No new functionality.
    "bin/gimp"
    In order to make drag&drop working I had to use dbus. So this script needs to be modified too.
    "bin/gimp-remote"
    see bin/gimp. No need to use gimp-remote-2.6, because dbus / gimp-2.6 handles this
    The QuickLook plugin is included and updated to gimp-2.6
    BTW, I've designed a new icon for Gimp. It makes use of Leopard's higher resolution (512x512 pixel). Much better look in Coverflow.

GimpPorts directory tree

"ports"
    This contains the various Portfiles. This way I got rid of the annoying p5-getopt-long bug and could drop most unneeded ports (gnome, py25-..., p5-...). But there's still a error in py25-hashlib. Just run "sudo port install gimp" again.
    See https://trac.macports.org/ticket/13930
    "distfiles"
    I've patched ufraw to use slightly different file extensions (tiff instead of tif) which will be more compatible with Aperture. And, now the main window stays open after you've saved a file. Currently I haven't made a diff to the offical sources, so I had to provide the whole source in this form as a distfile. (as usual, ...the patchfile will follow soon.)
    "Application"
    MacPorts should install it's "applications" here, at least I hope it does. So these apps are out of the way. And if you delete GimpPorts they're gone too. See http://guide.macports.org/#internals.co ... tion-files

Building Gimp

go to your ~/src/macports dir and run "gp-prep" to ensure the symlink exists.

Then run "gp-makeports". This should download the newest MacPorts sources and extract them.

Run "gp-makeports" again. (sorry, but I have no other idea on how to manage this on Leopard and Tiger too. Any suggestions?) This will compile MacPorts, doing a selfupdate and patching MacPorts configuration files, so that the GimpPorts tree will be used. Finally it gives you some hints on what to do next.

Because there is still a minor bug in one of the ports, it's not possible to do the compiling phase in a shell script. So please do

Code:
    export PATH=/tmp/skl/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/bin:$PATH
    sudo port install gimp

The compiling phase may stop with an error on "py25-hashlib". Just type "sudo port install gimp" again.

If everything went well, run "gp-app". This will build the final Gimp application bundle.

Finally do
    Code:
    port installed > gimp-build.log
    This will log all the ports used in this build. This may help in finding bugs between different builds.

ToDo

- apdopt the application template to Tiger. Changing "script" and "openDoc" should be enough. I've just set up a fresh Tiger system on my MacBook and started compiling MacPorts. So I think a Tiger / Intel version will come soon.
    - make all ports build as "universal"
    - anything else?

Willing to help?

I'd be glad, if you'll help to improve this build environment. Please post your enhancements, bug reports or anything else here in this formum or drop me a mail (skl at lisanet dot de)

Enjoy
    Simone
  11. Auria

Auria Member

Ok thanks! I'll look into integrating something similar into our SVN... may take a while, take we can make 2.6 packages for everyone

One first improvememnt : no need to run the command twice:
    Code:
      #open $MPSRC.tar.bz2
      bzip2 -d $MPSRC.tar.bz2
      tar -xf $MPSRC.tar
  12. lisanet

lisanet Member

Oh, thanks. :)

But why not taking the scripts directly to SVN instead of integrating them?
  13. missmarple79

missmarple79 New Member

Simone, thanks for your great work!
    I am trying to build Gimp 2.6 on Tiger. How do the files mentioned aboved have to be adopted so that the app will run on Tiger?
  14. lisanet

lisanet Member

... by doing mostly the same as in the skeleton scripts ("script" and "openDoc") in SVN. IMO it's not necessary to test for Panther or older or XDarwin, because IMO MacPorts on Tiger gives Tiger-only-binaries and they will likely not run on Panther/Jaguar. And of course you have to put "getdisplay.sh" (out of SVN) into "C*/R*/bin"

BTW, I just noticed, that MacPorts has changed many of it's Portfiles. The actual Portfiles will brake the ones provided in GimpPorts. Please delete "GimpPorts/ports/graphics/intltool", go to "GimpPorts/ports" and run "portindex". Now a "sudo port install gimp" should work. I'll update the packages on my site tomorrow.
  15. Auria

Auria Member

Well, by "integrating them into our SVN", I mostly meant "copy them" ;D
    I've already commited them.
    Currently, i'm testing them and will be updating the build instructions next.

So building should be very streamlined - svn checkout, then run a set of scripts
    and you automatically get a dmg ready to be uploaded.

Not sure if we'd need to make another Leopard/Intel build, or if you'd just like to upload yours
    to sf. It would just need to be similar enough to ours (include ghostscript, mainly)
  16. lisanet

lisanet Member

Hhhm, your posting makes me think about what's the main goal of wilber-loves-apple? Providing pre-build packages or supporting users compiling Gimp?

If it's providing pre-build binaries,
    than there's IMO no need to upload it again. A link to the download page of my site will suffice.
    If you think, that Gimp should have some special features (e.g. ghostscript for opening eps files) then first there should be standards on what to include in packages.

If the main focus of wilber-loves-apple is upon supporting users compiling Gimp
    it would be nice to place another link to the already existing scripts, templates and ports. Managing two separate source trees will only double our efforts without being more efficient, especially because both source trees only differ in minor points.
    BTW, why did you rename the scripts? They are almost excactly the same sources with some very small changes, no new features. Again, a link will suffice.

Finally, some thoughts about what "Standards for compiling and packaging" should cover.

- only MacPorts "pre-defined" dependencies? (no ghostscript, but ffmpeg if MacPorts provides gegl... )
    - enhancements, patches to existing sources? (like I did in ufraw)
    - additional packages (ghostscript, ....)
    - removing some packages (gtkhtml, webkit, librsvg, gvfs, ....)? Which ones?
    - Themes? Icon? Scripts?
    - universal or arch specific binaries?
    - freezing ports for a given Gimp version (every package has the same ports) or always using the latest MacPorts repository (most packages will differ)?
    - Gimp's preferences

So, what do you think about that?
  17. andreasw

andreasw Member

Upload the file to SF. I mean, Mediafire? Cmon. :p
  18. lisanet

lisanet Member

;D

In the two days after I put Gimp 2.6rc1 online I had more then 10 GB of traffic on my site, and since my website traffic is limited I needed a quick (and dirty) solution.

BTW, I recently registered at SF (gimponosx.sf.net) ...
  19. bryguy

bryguy New Member

is there any chance of you making a version of this for powerpc? I sadly dont have intel :(
  20. lisanet

lisanet Member

@everybody

I've just updated the current Leopard/Intel build. It now includes ghostscript, so opening eps files should work.

Download it here: http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download.html

@andreasw
    ... done. Just take a look at my site ;)

@bryguy
    I only own a old PPC iMac G4 (700 Mhz) with Tiger on it. So this may really take a while to build.
    Currently I'm working on a Tiger/Intel build.

So please stay tuned...