1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fun with Gimp, My way.

Discussion in 'Large Art' started by MichaelP, Jun 17, 2013.

1. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

Gimp is probably my all time favourite Graphics program. I have done more with it than any other software. here Is a sample of what I like to do with it. What do you think?[​IMG]

2. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

The background is totally gorgeous. The "Linux" isn't bad (but the blue glow is a bit invasive). But mostly the two don't mix well... (both in style and in assumed light directions). Keeping the shapes of the characters I would try a pale gold inlay, like marquetry.

3. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

Thank you Ofnuts! I appreciate the input. I'll give that a try and post the results. :-D

4. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

Re: Fun with Gimp, My way. Redux

Advice taken and applied. This is the result. Better?
    [​IMG]

5. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

Definitely better, but it looks like "Linux" is a hole punched through the metal that show some different material under it.

What I was thinking about was something like this:

<a class="postlink" href="http://islamicartsmagazine.com/images/uploads/blog/940_Flora_Islamica_Dish-of-bidri-metal-with-inlaid-brass-flowers-India-Deccan_2nd-half-of-17th-cent.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://islamicartsmagazine.com/images/u ... h-cent.jpg</a>

6. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

Ahh, OK. My brain processed 'inlay'as inset or carved. I'll give it one more try. At least I achieved what i thought you meant with this one. :-D

7. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

Your background is just perfect, flat with these fine grooves that add some depth. Personal taste of course, but the "Linux" should be just as flat, with the same kind of narrow groove around it, and may be some grooves inside, where there would be an overlap of the strokes in handwriting (bottom bar of the "L" and the "x".

8. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

Ok, this is my last attempt. I've gotten good reviews elsewhere also for both of the previous walls. But I like the challenge. This is fun. The pattern for the background isn't mine but the effects and the way it is used is my own ideas. I've gotten to the point that I haven't needed a tutorial to help on any of these post. That is an accomplishment for me. :D
    [​IMG]

9. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

Yes, this one is pretty darn good. Elegant, that's the word.

10. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

Thanks ofnuts! I've learned a few things in changing these around a bit and that's what matters most isn't it? Now it's time for a new project. I'll return soon with a new wallpaper or who knows what! ;D