Finish the Fight - A tutorial from bladesonic

Discussion in 'Gimp Tips & Tutorials' started by bladesonic, Mar 15, 2010.

1. bladesonic

bladesonic Member

Sorry about the long load time and all the images. Please enjoy!:
    ---
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for trying my tutorial. We're going to be making something similar to this:
    [​IMG]
    First off, you are going to need a few things:

A stock of your chosen focal
    A c4d and a fractal, two c4ds, or two fractals
    These two brush packs: 1:2
    A space stock
    A fairly advanced knowledge of The Gimp

Once you have these things, we are ready to begin.
    Firstly, open up a new canvas. I chose 450x200, choose your favorite size. Once this is done, open up your stock. My stock cut off, so I duplicated it and erased everything except for what I needed to cover up. Next, I blurred this, then I duplicated my original stock again and brought it to the top of the stack. I decided to cover up some sections of my stock, so I chose a section of the stock and smudged it, then erased what wasn't smudged. I did this twice, and got this:
    [​IMG]
    Next, duplicate your original stock, erase most of it except for a section where you want some stronger lighting, and set it to Dodge. Mess with the opacity until you are pleased.
    [​IMG]
    Now open up one of your c4ds and duplicate it. Hide the top one and place the bottom one where you want it to enhance the flow. Set it to Addition and mess with the opacity. Now unhide the top c4d and move it to a spot that enhances the blending of your tag. Set it to Dodge and erase what looks bad.
    [​IMG]
    Now create a new layer, and with your FG/BG colors set to White/Black, select your gradient tool. Set the shape to Radial. Now click where you want some lighting and drag it out. Set this layer to Grain Merge and turn the opacity down very low.
    [​IMG]
    Create a new layer, and fill it with Plasma. Hide this layer, then apply your image (Copy Visible-Paste/Layer-New from Visible), then go to Filters-Map-Bump Map, and run a bump map on your applied image using whatever settings suit your taste. Erase what you don't like and what's over the focal. Mess with the opacity.
    [​IMG]
    Now create a new layer, and whip out your Fusion 5 brush from the pack you downloaded. Brush once with white over your focal where you want some lighting and to create some flow. Erase what you don't like and set the layer mode to Overlay; with a low opacity. Now create another layer and get your Fusion 12 brush and brush again to create effects and lighting. Erase again and set this layer to Overlay again, with a similar opacity.
    [​IMG]
    Now open up your fractal or another c4d, and duplicate it. I put one over the Chief's shoulder to create some blending, and another to the right to create some effects. Mess with the layer modes and opacity, then colorize them to match your tag's colors.
    [​IMG]
    Open your space stock, set the layer to screen, and move and erase to create some effects.
    [​IMG]
    Create a new layer and fill it with a color that compliments your tag. Set the layer to screen and mess with the opacity. Now apply your image again and run a gradient map using light brown to black. Set the layer to Grain Merge with a low opacity. Create a new layer and fill it with white/black to lighten/darken your tag. Set it to Overlay with a low opacity. Apply your image and run another gradient map with sepia tones (dark brown to light brown). Mess with your layer mode and opacity.
    [​IMG]
    Create a new layer, and choose a brush from the Dynasty II pack you downloaded. Brush once to create some lighting and effects, then play with the layer mode and opacity.
    [​IMG]
    Create a new layer and fill it with black to create some contrast. Set it to Overlay on a low opacity. Now create a new layer and use a white FG to transparent radial gradient to create some lighting. Overlay with 22% opacity. Next, fill a new layer with black and erase over your focal. Leave the layer on normal, but tone the opacity down.
    [​IMG]
    Apply your image, and smudge this layer with the following settings:

Brush: Vine
    Spacing: 1
    Jitter: On, .1
    Rate: 100

After you smudge it, flip the layer horizontally and vertically, then hide it and apply your image again. Filters-Map-Displace, then displace this layer by the flipped layer. Erase most of it, just leaving some blending effects.
    [​IMG]
    I decided I wanted a fire effect behind the Chief, so I created a new layer and brushed a blob of red with some orange inside it, then Gaussian Blurred it by 100-150. I set the layer to Overlay on a low opacity.
    [​IMG]
    Gradient map time. Remember to run each of these on a separate applied layer, and feel free to experiment here.

German Flag Smooth: Color, 5.9
    Red to Orange FG to BG: Overlay, 3.5
    Blue-Green: Soft Light, 37.3

[​IMG]
    Create a new layer, and using your paths tool draw a curving path around your tag. Now, with your Sparks brush selected, click Stroke Path, and choose Stroke with Tool, with your paintbrush selected and Emulate Brush Dynamics checked. Now desaturate the layer and displace this layer by itself. Mess with the layer mode and opacity.
    [​IMG]
    I decided to add a small widescreen border. Then I applied my image and went into the Levels tool. I messed with the Input values until I had a nice contrast. Leave the layer on Normal and lower the opacity.
    [​IMG]
    Apply your image, then run Gaussian Blur. Blur it by 5. Now hide that layer, apply your image again, and sharpen by 5-15. Move your sharpened layer beneath your blurred layer and erase over the focal and whatever effects you want to enhance.
    [​IMG]
    And you're done! Hope you enjoyed my tutorial, and feel free to post results and ask questions.
    [​IMG]
    ---
    Here's the .xcf if you need to check anything or you feel it will help you follow the tutorial.​
  2. David Wood

David Wood Active Member

Freelance graphic designer and visual effects arti
    Home page:
    Super cool, yet, super confusing. :p I'll have to study this one later. :)
  3. bladesonic

bladesonic Member

Sorry about that. I didn't go as in-depth as I do on most of my tutorials because I'm not entirely sure how I made this one XD
    Thanks, though. Good luck with it.