1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fancy Pants Keeps Crashing. :)

Discussion in 'General GIMP help' started by Mythmaven, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Mythmaven

Mythmaven New Member

I'm not actually asking for help on this one, I'm more posting my experience here as encouragment (kind of) if anyone else is having a similar problem with the newest, supposedly stable, version of the Gimp.

I put off downloading the new version because I was waiting on a new pc with lots of power and speed and figured I didn't want to bother dealing with new download hassles twice in the same month. 
    Got my new pc squared away,  XP not Vista, rocked up to the download site, got meself the shiny new windows binary with installers.
    Installed it.  Opened a png file did some layer work, before I got to save the work the gimp froze, Dr Watson appears to tell me there is a problem, duh, and when I click on the Dr watson button, gimp closes, work lost.    This happened about sixty percentage of the time over the next couple of hours, it may be related to the layers because that's when it always happened but then again, layer work was the work I was always doing so maybe it was going to crash regardless.  Anyway, I went looking online for solutions.

One repeated crash problem was apparently solved by uninstalling everything, installing the gtx environment first on it's own, then installing the new gimp.  Tried it.  Made no difference.

Went to bugzilla, could find no bugs there that resembled my experience but as I just said, maybe the layers dialogue had nothing to do with my crashes, so I can't really be sure.  Anyway, the whole situation simply started to annoy me too much so I decided I could do without my shiny new Gimp for a while longer, uninstalled the lot, went and got an older version I had no problems with, went and got all my old scripts from my old sites, got that all sorted and returned to my happy, crash free, Gimping.

I'll try 2.4 again in a month or two, maybe the additional development and debugging will resolve whatever my problem is without me ever knowing the details.  Till then I'm using what works.

Having said I don't actually want any help.  If someone reads this and thinks they know exactly what my problem was, I'm all ears.  ;D ;D ;D ;)
    Mythmaven.

2. Rsim

Rsim Member

Yeah, I have that problem too, but it's not frequent. I think my problem is mine's Vista. I just save my work ahead of time, as a WIP XCF file, that way I can go back to it. Try doing that. I like this new version, specially the Heal tool ;D

3. Mythmaven

Mythmaven New Member

Hey Rism,
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one.  (Misery loves company so they say.)
    Yeah, I could save constantly but "knowing" the instability is there, lurking, just chews up my arse so I'm opting for stability and tranquility.  LOL.

While I'm here, you strike me as someone who'd know, I've got a sig pic to stick at the bottom here but I don't know what bcc is so what do I need to do on my profile edit page to get my sig down the bottom?  Thanks.
    Mythmaven

4. Gimper

Gimper Member

Home Page:
    its a shame you can't use 2.4.. its got better features and much easier on the eyes.
    have you tried the latest version 2.4.3??

5. lolzlolz

lolzlolz Member

Lost in thought, please send search party....
    Home Page:
    use ubuntu no problems,
    or use windows i have vista and don't have any problems haven't had one problem at all with gimp  ;D

6. Mythmaven

Mythmaven New Member

Yeah, it was the latest stable release, but not stable for me.  I'm resigned to it for now.  :)

7. Rsim

Rsim Member

I'm sure you know how to get to the sig edit page ("Peace Rocks"), so upload your image (I recommend imageshack.net, or .us, can't remember =P), then take the image link (copy and paste), then type
    Code:
    [IMG]"insert image link here, excluding quotes"[/IMG]
    . ;)

8. Mythmaven

Mythmaven New Member

Thanks Rism,
    It's a link, see, I didn't get that.  :)
    Mikel.

9. Rsim

Rsim Member

It's a URL, like www.ilikepie.com. My sig link is:

Code:
    http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6659/rsim2inonesigwa6.gif
    See? Now no one steal it T.T

10. sglider12

sglider12 Active Member

I work at Best Buy as a Digital Life Sales Associa
    Home Page:
    I know you weren't asking for help but may I make a suggestion? Before you start Gimp, right click on the icon and go to Properties. In the properties dialog, click on the Compatibility tab. Check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select from one of the options. This helped me on Vista when I was trying to run Gimp. It didn't work so I ran it in compatibility mode for XP. Maybe you should try Win98 or 2000..

11. lolzlolz

lolzlolz Member

Lost in thought, please send search party....
    Home Page:
    gimp works fine in vista for me too,
    i think gimp likes me  :p

12. Mythmaven

Mythmaven New Member

Hmmmm.
    Now you got me thinking..............is it worth the hassle of downloading......blah...........blah...........blah........which will be great if compatibility mode is the solution (Didn't know about that so thanks for the heads up.) but will just piss me off more if it doesn't solve my problem.  :D
    So many decisions............so few brain cells.   

13. Rsim

Rsim Member

I tried that lots of fewer crashes, and I've narrowed it down to one type of crash:

Say I got a lot of work done in GIMP, then it just freezes on me. I can't click anything except normal Windows functions (Minimize, Close, ETC.). So I'd have to quit... =/From my perspective it outweighs the crashes though, because of all the useful features (And I think that the best one is that's it's smarter all around)

14. sglider12

sglider12 Active Member

Home Page:
    lol thx.

maybe your computer has a lot of crap on it??
    if you clean it up it could speed it up, so it has more memory to run programs? I've looked at the processes in XP and Gimp takes up a lot of resources...
    I use CCleaner (formerly known as Crap Cleaner..how convenient..) to clean mine up..it helps..
    Link: http://www.ccleaner.com/

maybe that'll help... ;D

15. Rsim

Rsim Member

Maybe. But the fact is my laptop hasn't even exceeded it's 30 day warranty. =P

16. Mythmaven

Mythmaven New Member

I've read some laptop reviewers refer to "bloatware", mostly on Toshibas I think it was, were the company loads huge amounts of accessories and other crap software on their new laptops and it's not easy to get rid of it without causing some grief.

In my case I doubt my crashes have anything to do with my pc being overloaded, it's only a week old with something like 700 gig of empty space at the moment.  :)  But the CC was a good headsup, sounds like handy software to have.

17. sglider12

sglider12 Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah CC is handy..

BTW Gimp 2.4.4 has been released..maybe they fixed the bug that was causing yours to crash...

18. Gimper

Gimper Member

Home Page:
    i stubmled on this 2 weeks ago, what it dose is clean a new windows insallation from unwanted programs that come packed with those branded computers/laptops.

heres the decription off freewaregenius.com

link to the page:http://www.freewaregenius.com/2006/12/24/pc-decrapifier/
    best thing about it that its %100 free :)

19. Mythmaven

Mythmaven New Member

Well I downloaded 2.4.4  and sure enough,  still crashes.  So now I'm trying it in compatibility mode with win2000, lets see if that helps.  Just made a couple of simple wallpapers of Evangeline Lilly (Lost) to experiment without getting annoyed at losing my own work.  If I only I was young, rich, good looking, charming and funny.  :)

20. Mythmaven

Mythmaven New Member

OK, high blood pressure here.  2.4.4 is crashing endlessly and I would like to kill somebody.  :'(

I got so pissed with it I submitted my first bugzilla official bug report, I doubt that will help me but at least it made me feel like I was *doing* something.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr