eye of the storm - a tutorial from blade

Discussion in 'Gimp Tips & Tutorials' started by bladesonic, Sep 23, 2010.

1. bladesonic

bladesonic Member

A special request by LemonMaster. Consider it a belated 'Welcome to Gimper' present.
    ---
    [​IMG]

Welcome to another tutorial. Today we're going to make something like this:

[​IMG]

To create this photomanipulation, we are going to need a few things:

A fairly advanced knowledge of The GIMP
    These stocks: Eye Wave
    The GMIC plugin (GreyCstoration will work too)

Aside from this, we are ready to begin.

Firstly, open up your eye stock, then the wave on another layer. Add an alpha channel to the wave and erase everything except for the true wave with a large fuzzy brush. Move it so that the eye is visible through the wave, like this:

[​IMG]

Next, get your gradient tool and select FG to Transparent. Choose Radial for the shape and check the reverse box (looks like a two-headed arrow). Click and drag from the center of the eye to the edge of the wave. Set this layer to overlay, 100%. Now duplicate it and set the layer mode to color. Mess with the opacity if you want. I left mine at 100.

[​IMG]

Now copy visible-paste, and erase everything except for the eye. Run a sharpen filter of about 15 to enhance the detail of the eye. Now copy visible again and run GMIC/GreyC. In GMIC, choose Anisotropic Smoothing and run it with default settings. Lower the opacity of the GMIC layer to about 75%.

[​IMG]

Next, I messed with the colors. I wanted to enhance the blue, so I filled a new layer with Cyan and set it to Hue, 48%. Next, get your gradient tool again. Set the FG color to black and create another radial gradient on a new layer. Set this to Overlay, 51%. I also duplicated the Wave layer and ran GMIC on it again. Lower the opacity of this to 83%. I got this:

[​IMG]

Now we want to enhance the lighting of our piece. On a new layer, use a large fuzzy brush to paint white over the eye. Gaussian blur this by about 20 and set it to Overlay. Now create another black radial gradient on a new layer. Make sure to erase any black over the eye. Set this to Overlay. On another new layer, create a white FG to transparent radial gradient over the eye, except this time uncheck the reverse box. Set this to Overlay. Finally, use a large fuzzy white brush to create a large blob of white in the lower right hand corner. Gaussian blur this by a very large amount (upwards of 100), then Motion blur it to the top left corner with the length slider to maximum. Set this layer to Overlay.

[​IMG]

Next, use a small fuzzy black brush to fill in the pupil of the eye on a new layer. This is to eliminate the glare. Now open up your wave again, and shrink it to a very small size. Desaturate it and erase everything except for the core of the wave. Now move this to the pupil and set it to Grain Merge. Duplicate it and leave this layer on Grain Merge, but lower the opacity to 48%

[​IMG]

Just a few more steps. Copy visible and run a Blue Green gradient map on this layer. Set it to Overlay, 22%. Copy visible again and run a Deep Sea gradient map. Set this to Screen, 17%. Finally, use the eliptical tool to select most of the image. Stretch each edge of the circle to the edge of the image, so that only the corners are not selected. Invert this selection, then fill it with black on a new layer. Deselect all, then feather this layer by a large amount (upwards of 20). Set this layer to Opacity. Now create a new layer and alpha to selection the black layer. Invert the selection and fill this with white. Set this to Opacity, 20%.

[​IMG]

To add the finishing touches to our piece, copy visible and run sharpen on it with a value of about 10. Leave everything alone.

[​IMG]

Congratulations! You've finished the tutorial. I hope you enjoyed it, and if you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

[​IMG]
  2. Spartan

Spartan Member

Re: eye of the storm - a tutorial by blade

I actually like the logo for this tutorial better than i like the LP :p but thats just because of the darkened upper right.
    I like this tutorial easy to follow and awesome outcome :)
  3. David Wood

David Wood Active Member

Freelance graphic designer and visual effects arti
    Home page:

Sweet, I didn't read the entire tut but it was well explained. Nice job. :)
  4. bladesonic

bladesonic Member

Thanks, guys.
    @Spartan: As I was making the header I thought it would be a better sig than a LP.
  5. virtualTune

virtualTune Active Member

Home page:

almost awezome to me! :D
  6. Rod

Rod Moderator Staff Member

Very unique idea, and a very nice tutorial.
    Thanks for sharing it. =)