1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Export as BMP - Preset the options?

Discussion in 'GIMP for Windows' started by Whirler, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Whirler

Whirler Member

The work I am doing with GIMP 2.8.14 requires me to frequently Export As BMP. While doing that I have to make sure that the Compatibility Options check box is set for "do not save colorspace information", and then set the Advanced Options, 24 Bit checkbox. During a session the colorspace checkbox remembers its setting, but the 24 Bit checkbox does not.

Since I use these settings over and over again, is there some way to preset them so that every time I open and use GIMP it will remember my choices and keep them already checked for me? That way when I choose to Export As BMP it will just do it, without needing me to keep inputting identical settings for each BMP.

2. Whirler

Whirler Member

Anyone???????

I'd also like to set GIMP so that the Layers and Tool Options Dialogues open when I launch GIMP from a saved xcf file. They always seem to do so at the start of each project, but somewhere along the way they stop opening, and I have to do it manually for every session thereafter using that same saved file.

3. David Wood

David Wood Moderator Staff Member

Freelance graphic designer and visual effects arti
    Home Page:
    Hi Whirler, I'm afraid I don't know how to solve your first problem, when I go to export a BMP my advanced setting is already set to 24bit. As for your second question, I'm not sure I understand it. Don't the Layers and Tool Options Dialog windows open every time you launch Gimp? Or are they not opening when you launch Gimp from an XCF?

4. Whirler

Whirler Member

Hi David. Thanks very much for the reply. I had figured no one was ever going to answer.

My Export As BMP dialog always defaults to 32 bit. If you can find out why yours defaults to 24 bit I'd love to know, so I can change my setup to do that too.

The second issue with the Layers and Tool Options Dialog windows is something sporadic. "Sometimes" they open. Sometimes they don't. I most generally open GIMP one of two ways. Either by right clicking the file I want to work on, which is usually a BMP, and select "Edit with GIMP" in my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit system. Or by clicking on an XCF file I had previously saved, to do more work on it. That is when they often do not open. I just hunted down the EXE to open GIMP (for some reason installing it did not put a listing in my Start/All Programs menu) and when I opened it that way, the Layers and Tool Options Dialog windows did open. So then I opened the XCF file I had last edited, and they also opened. But they often will not appear when opening an XCF file to do more work on it.

5. David Wood

Home Page:
    That's weird. I can't find any settings for that would effect the BMP. Mind if I ask why you're using BMP instead of PNG?

In your Preferences menu, under Window management there is an option to save windows on exit, and also to save the windows in their current position. If the option to save them on exit is checked, try to uncheck it and then hit the save button. Let me know if this fixes it.

6. Whirler

Whirler Member

That option to save window positions on exit was indeed checked. I unchecked it. I'll let you know if the disappearing dialogs get cured because of that.

I prefer PNG myself for most graphics, but this project I've been doing over the past several years is to create photo-realistic satellite imagery to replace the static imagery in Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX). The images have to be BMP because the compiler used to create the scenery files (called BGL files) expects BMP, and won't work without them. The compiler is something MS built into the FSX Software Development Kit (SDK) years ago, before MS shut down the Flight Simulator development team. I would have no idea even if it could be modified to use PNG, much less how to do that. :) I just know if I don't have everything it expects to find, in perfect order, it won't compile. :)

Unfortunately, Exporting as BMP doesn't seem to even be mentioned in the current online user manual.

Are we using the same version of GIMP? Mine reports being 2.8.14. If not, that might shed light on how your BMP exports default to 24 bit.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  7. David Wood

Home Page:
    Yup, I'm using 2.8.14 too.

8. Whirler

Whirler Member

I did some Googling on this issue today, and found some threads dating all the way back to 2008 on a couple GIMP discussion forums. By the dialog I could tell that those members wanting these same answers were also making FSX scenery. No one has ever provided a solution to automatically having the Export BMP function stay at 24bit instead of 32, yet some others said they (inexplicably) saw their installations defaulting to 24 as well. By the discussion it seemed back circa version 2.2, Exporting BMP was even more of an inconvenience, and I got the general impression most GIMP users don't use BMP. So it probably fell low on the list of options, and thus is not even documented in the current online manual.

There is also the issue of checking the "Do not save colorspace information" box, but I had not mentioned it yet, above. That step will usually stay "remembered" until GIMP itself is shut down and re-started. But the 24 bit checkbox never stays "remembered" as multiple exports are done in series.

Thanks for trying to help, but it looks like there is no GIMP setting(s) addressing this. I may resort to a keyboard macro to help. :)

9. David Wood

Home Page:
    What happens if you use 32bit?

10. Whirler

Whirler Member

Honestly, I don't know, except that I would imagine the files, which are already pretty big, would be a lot bigger. For example, the segment I am working on now has an XCF file that is 528MB. When I am done I have to export 4 different BMP files using one or more of its layers. Those are usually somewhat smaller than the XCF file itself. A typical segment size that I like to use will be comprised of over 1GB of files when it is completed. Then its BGL file will be compiled into I see you are in Western NY. If you are familiar with the geography of Erie, PA, a segment I did there, which was about 348MB for the XCF and 220-300MB for each of its 4 BMP files, covers the sand spit in Lake Erie, its bay, and about 3X that along the shoreline. So really not a huge area. The tutorial I followed to learn how to do this made choices like not saving colorspace info or using 32 bit in the exported BMP files as a way to keep the file sizes down. When one is doing whole states, the hard drive real estate can fill up easily. :) I've been working on this project for 4 years now. So I've created many GB of files. :) I save all the working XCF and BMP files off to Bluray discs periodically, because the 500GB SSD I use for Flight Simulator keeps filling up as I work. All I need to keep on the drive itself is the BGL file, and a couple other small files, for each segment, once my work is done there.

GIMP doesn't like it if I try to work with larger files. :) I've done a few, and it crashes repeatedly as I work, causing me to learn about the Auto-Save Python script someone made. I use it now all the time, so I don't lose lots of work.