Equating Images in a GIMP Project

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cadu, Jan 2, 2012.

1. cadu

cadu New Member

Hello,

I am new in Gimp and I am trying to equating images in the best way in a Gimp Project.

a) My base image (background) has a dimension of an A6 sheet (1240x1754) with 300 ppi of resolution. It is because I intend to print images like that, which will be inserted in an MS Word software (sheet A4) together common text (attached there is an example). So, is it the better project configuration to create my images through GIMP?

b) I inserted two pictures. By original configuration, “image 1” is bigger than “image 2”. If I increase size of “image 2” (to achieve same size of “image 1”), this picture will loss quality. Isn't it? Is this kind of “increasing” in some way tolerable?

c) When resizing as in (b), what is better: to use direct the “scale tool” or to scale image through menu “image=>scale image”? Or will the result be the same?

d) I am familiarized with Corel PaintShop. In this software, when I select an image first and others after, I could “resize to the same first image size the other ones”. Is there in GIMP any way of doing it? In my case I want “image 2” has the same size of “image 1”.

Thanks in advance for some help!!! Best wishes and amazing ideas in New Year for everybody!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

First of all, hey!

b) Enlarging an image will definately give you quality loss, yes.
    c) Some people say the scale-tool is worse, but you can choose the scaling algorithm in both ways so I don't think there's too much of a difference.
    d) You can go "Image > Scale image" and then type the dimensions you want (for example 1240x1754 @300ppi), which is basically the same.

Also, why don't you make the big image as small as the small one? The quality loss will not be as high as far as I know when you make an image smaller.
    Another general tip: If the images don't have the same height-to-width ratio, don't transform them into the correct one. In other words: If you have one squared image ( for example 3x3 pixels) and one rectangular image (6x4) do not scale the small square image up to 6x4. This will totally destroy the image because of the distortion. You can rather make it too big and then cut the remaining parts off.

It's early in the morning for me, so forgive my poor English and explanation skills...

3. cadu

cadu New Member

Hi Arzoroc,

You were very clear!!! Poor English it is mine!!! Many thanks. Some comments:

a) "why don't you make the big image as small as the small one?"
    Won't it cause harm/loss of quality of my base image (background), which has a dimension of an A6 sheet (1240x1754 - 300 ppi)? As I said I intend to insert into Word and print after that. So I have calculated that an A6 sheet size will be (in average) the best size I could handle. Anyway, I am not sure about that...

b) "You can go "Image > Scale image" and then type the dimensions you want (for example 1240x1754 @300ppi), which is basically the same"
    I realized even resize happens in screen, when one uses "scale tool" the size remains the same of the original image (in pixel). So if accuracy is need it seems "Image > Scale image" is the best way. But it seems one needs to make it in each original image, because when there are a plenty of images in layers, "Image > Scale image" will affect all layers, not only the selected layer. In my tests, just "scale tool" could resize images individually. Besides, doing it manually isn't as easy as in PaintShop. As I said, there you just click on image you want the same size; click another and resize automatically. In Gimp what I made was use the "guides" as a boundary to use "scale tool". A little bit hard-work in comparison to other software.

c) Lets say that original image 1 and 2 have 72 ppi. Then I create new image in Gimp with 300 ppi and I insert the images as in my former example. Should I reconfigure both images to 300 ppi before using/inserting them? Or once new Gimp image is configured with 300 ppi will the others automatically take this main configuration when printing?

d) In an image created using layer structure (as my example), is there any way to handle the image by clicking over it in screen? Or is just through clicking over layer the way to select the image? It is because with many layers to find the layer is more difficult than just click on the image parts in screen.

Best, Cadu

4. Willy

Willy Member

High School, Engineering Program
    Home Page:
    He spelled it right :eek:

5. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

:D

Well, if A6 is your desired size, my option isn't really viable.
    Try "Layer > Layer Size" ;)

Hmmm.. I'm really not sure but I think the first layer (the new image you created in Gimp) defines the PPI, so the new image would also have 300ppi in the end.
    I don't really get your point here to be honest. If you click with the scale-tool in the main window (the one with the menu on top), the active layer will be scaled. When using the move tool, you can choose whether the thing you click on or the active layer should be moved by going to the tool options.
    But again, I think I didn't get your question there.

6. cadu

cadu New Member

Thanks for information!

I am not sure about it. I just made an average measure that images will have in my Word document. I am open to any advice...

I am familiarized with PaintShop. There if I use a selection direct in image objects (mouse pointer is similar to an arrow that many software have) I could handle them without the need to select the layer. In other words, if I click on text in image screen, the respective layer will be selected automatically. It makes the work easier considering not be necessary to look for layers, texts, vectors in layers dialogue. Just click directly on image objects...

Best,
    Cadu