1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drawing tablet & GIMP

Discussion in 'General GIMP help' started by hevis, Jul 20, 2009.

1. hevis

hevis Member

Hey,

I've been desiring a drawing tablet for a long time but I'm not sure what tablets work with gimp. Is there any specific ones that you know of that work with gimp?

Using: Windows XP & GIMP 2.6.5

2. istarlome

istarlome Member

i have a wacom induos 3 that works fine.

3. hevis

hevis Member

Thanks for the info, but intuos3 isnt really in my price range.

Anyone have experience with other Wacom tablets?

4. jlashley

jlashley Member

I have a Genius MousePen 8x6. Works pretty good with gimp; the cursor does jump occasionally, though. Doesn't happen in photoshop or illustrator, though, for some reason. Wicked deal on amazon, if you're looking for a cheap one. http://www.amazon.com/Genius-MousePen-6 ... 085&sr=8-1 The mouse isn't anything special, but who buys a tablet for the mouse anyway. :)

5. fatkatbuyo

fatkatbuyo New Member

lol, 80$ bamboo from best buy is my tabby, and it works fine :p

6. SoFL

SoFL New Member

I just received a monoprice.com 8x6 tablet ($36) and it works well. I believe it is a UC-logic brand repackaged for monoprice.com.

People have gotten the UC-Logic version to work under ubuntu, and I was able to get some response when I tried it on my work Ubuntu machine, that was without trying any configuration changes or driver installs. It recognized the tablet, it recognized clicks but nothing else. I am sure if I had time to tweak it I could have gotten it to work. There are several forums discussing it.

On my home Windows XP machine I installed the drivers and it works pretty well with GIMP. The installation process had me reboot twice (ugh) The pen is pressure sensitive and can also act like a mouse. My main problem is that GIMP offers a "Window" or "screen" option. With the screen option it worked great but the tablet is for the screen/monitor not the drawing area so the actual work area is small depending on the size of the graphic.
    With the Window option it did this odd split cursor thing. (I don't know how to describe it.) If I moved the pen to the top left the cursor and the brush type icon were together. As I moved to the bottom right the cursor and brush type icon would separate. The work area and my cursor stayed within the limits of the tablet but the brush icon would expand the screen. (I tried doing a screen grab but the icon wouldn't show.)
    I will have to give another review of this inexpensive tablet but so far I like it, especially for the price.

7. sky-fyre

sky-fyre Active Member

i know, i has an old one, but its a wacom graphire2 and it works fine in xp and vista. i really dont think theres a problem with using any tablet with the gimp.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have a Genius Mousepen 8x6. It doesn't seem to work in GIMP after the new update to version 2.6 or whatever. Worked fine before it for me. Wonder what I could be doing wrong.