1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DJ & Ginny...from pencil portrait to color portrait

Discussion in 'Photography' started by LovethatLucy1, May 7, 2015.

1. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

So here's my latest....and definitely not my greatest.:(
    But I decided to mess around a bit and take an old pencil portrait that I drew (before I really started working on improving my drawing skills.

When I took a pic of the portrait it came out looking really yellow and the lines (looking back[​IMG] now) were way too harsh.

So I went to work and messed around with painting[​IMG] and colorizing it. I did change some things and I'm sure my friend DJ won't mind a bit. They're divorced now, lol.

I never liked Ginny's natural hairline (it looked like helmet head if you ask me, lol):eek: So I added bangs.

Now mind you , this pic looks very pixelated because it naturally is. It's not like I was working with a real photo. And it was tough at times working within the pixels not to overdo it, and blending was well, let's just say "good training[​IMG]" lol.

But I did end up liking her hair after I got done.

DJ was tougher.....those darn redheads always are , right?:p LOL Blending his hair and trying to keep it short[​IMG] and cropped without looking too pixelated was tough. And when adding color, especially to his lips I had to make sure he didn't look like he was wearing lipstick. :oops:

Anyway, I know it's not my greatest but it was a learning exercise. I also played around a lot more with the layering.
    I'm including a before photo (the original drawing) as well so you can see what I was talking about.:cool:

2133_1094999138992_9853_n.jpg DJ and Ginny, colored with gradient, bevel and clothify frame.jpg

2. Roma

Roma Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Looks pretty good! It' s very small though. Is that the maximun size you did?

Combining traditional and digital art is always very profitable. Keep it up for sure.

LovethatLucy1 likes this.
  3. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

Hi again :D
    Thank you so much for the compliments! It took me quite a while to do this one. It was tough, too, because I was dealing with a pic that was a drawing....not so easy to manipulate like a photograph would be. His hair is what killed me....thousands of tiny little clicks and strokes with my mouse made me neck and right tricep seize up on me. But it was good personal training. This isn't the actual size of it. It was done on a large canvas (I use Bristol paper now but back then it was done on a different type of paper so the blending was horrible.)

My skills in pencil portraiture have taken off since then. If you'd like you can check out my pencil portrait video on my You Tube channel: www.youtube.com/LovethatLucy1

I'm working on taking another one of my older drawings right now and working color into it.....not finished with it yet though but check it out. Started it last night. Was just showing a friend how to render a pic and then put it on another. And then when I put it on the background I ended up really liking it and started playing.

I named the portrait years ago "Serenity" because of the deep look of peace with herself in her eyes. I was going through a rough part in my life and coming out of it on the other side. She was the first drawing that I had done in quite some time....back then. The peace in her eyes reflected what I was beginning to feel and wanted to keep.

Now with the backdrop I'm naming her "Serenity Sky" and now she looks like on of those sexy space girls, lol. Wonder what guys will think of when they see it, lol. I'm including the before pic you can see the changes. I softened up the hard lines in her features quite a bit and added her left arm with my clone tool.

Anyways, here ya go........bye for now! take good care and God bless!

Serenity Sky.jpg Serenity.jpg

4. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

Also..... feel free to stop by my new business page on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Cre8iveCre8ions

There you'll see all my artwork....except for my pencil portraits which I'm working on adding frames to each one.