1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting out image, leaving cropped border?

Discussion in 'GIMP for Windows' started by andydoku889, Oct 1, 2012.

1. andydoku889

andydoku889 New Member

Newb here, slightly embarrassed.

Am trying to cut out image around a head, saving the image so that the outer borders of the image are *not* square, but adhere to the shape of the person's head. I don't want to add a new background or anything in Gimp, just export the image for use elsewhere.

So far, I have:

Added image
    added alpha layer
    Lasso tool around head
    Feathered
    Inverted selection
    Delete background
    Invert selection (back to the head)
    Save As

But when I save the file, it saves with square borders, I want the outer edges to be the persons head.

Have tried, cropping to selection, copy visible, etc etc , to no avail, seems v simple, v frustrating.

Any help *much* appreciated!

Thank you

2. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

Well, you can always autocrop an image, then the outline of the image will match the person's head, but the image will of course still be a rectangle.
    Try all the steps you already did, then Select > None, then Image > Auto Crop, OR do everything you did, then take the Rectangle Selection Tool, make a square selection around the head and go Image > Crop to Selection (all the names I use could be different in Gimp, I'm using the German version so I don't exactly know all the English menu names). If this is not what you wanted, I'm afraid I don't understand your problem.

3. andydoku889

andydoku889 New Member

Thanks for reply! Sorry my explanation not v clear. I need to cut out the head, then save the cutout image for use elsewhere, but the saved image I get is always square, instead of being the shape of the head. Hope that's clear.

Have tried Autocrop and crop to selection then save as, but saved image is still square. Have also tried Copy > Paste as Image, which doesn't work either. Feels like I;m missing something v obvious...any more thoughts?...thanks again :D

4. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

I will try it with some images:

This is what you got:

When you cut it out, it looks like this in Gimp (very sloppy of course):

This is what you will get when you autocrop and save (click to see):

And this (without any square background) will be the result when you paste it into any picture:

Where is the square around his head now? The border has to be a rectangle, every image is. But this doesn't mean it will have any square or rectangle border when you paste it into another image.

Attached Files:

5. andydoku889

andydoku889 New Member

Thanks! Ok, I now understand, I don't think what i want is possible. I wanted to change the actual border of the image to be the cropped head, this would have allowed me to add in to (eg) a Powerpoint and quicly and easily add a shadow border etc around it.

I can get the transparent image ok, but as you say the border is still square.

But many thanks indeed for your input and time spent explaining :) Much appreciated.