1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

customizing GIMP's rulers

Discussion in 'General GIMP help' started by Anonymous, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey, I've been up & down the internet after this particular help topic: getting the image rulers to display inches in 8ths rather than 10ths. Viewing them as inches is great unless I need 1/4 inches, then units of 10 really gets in the way. All the old help topics and forum posts for GIMP 2.2 are still floating around (gumming up my search results), and they talk about customizable rulers. Help a guy out?

2. istarlome

istarlome Member

i've been messing around with this but can't seem to figure it out yet.

a work around might be this.

1. if you need something at 1/4 inch, pull a guide until you see 0.25 in the lower left corner

2. you can set up a grid that will be in 1/8 inches. click: image>configure grid. then set the spacing to: width 0.125 inches. the height will change automatically if the chain is linked. at 72 ppi the pixel spacing will change to 9.

the grid will not be part of the image and can be turned on and off by clicking: view>show grid (you have to do this to see it when you create it). then you can turn it off when you want to. you can also set it to snap to the grid with: view>snap to grid.

you can change the color as needed. obviously a dark grid will be hard to see on a dark background.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes I have started using guides to get around this problem. Just... has anyone ever benifited from inches dividede by 10? :question: