Change font size of text in existing text layer...?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OppfinnarJocke, Jul 24, 2011.

1. OppfinnarJocke

OppfinnarJocke New Member

I'm new to GIMP, and I must be rock stupid, because I cannot for the life of me figure this out...

So I have created and saved a small GIMP xcf document, containing a background and a text layer. When I select the text layer and try to change the font size (from the Text Tool in the toolbox), nothing happens. The thing is that I am sure I could do this earlier, just typing in a new size would change the font size of the object on that layer, but now I cannot seem to get this to work...

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
  2. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

If you merged the text into a layer, it is not any longer editable by the Text Tool, which only edits the text-layers themselves. You can only change the font size by enlarging the layer with the scale tool.

If you however still have the original text-layer (which I guess you have), you can doubleclick on the layer symbol in the layer dialog (if you can't find it: Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Layers). This should open up the text window. Now, with that text window opened, you can change the font size by using the usual Text Tool options.
  3. OppfinnarJocke

OppfinnarJocke New Member

Thanks for the help.
    Yes, double-clicking the layer, that was it... thanks.

Strange unintuitive behavior I think:
    * Open the file
    * Single click the text layer to select it
    * Cannot change any text properties
    * Double-click the layer, except for the Text Editor box, everything looks the same as after single-click
    * Text properties can now be changed
    * Select other layer by single-click
    * Select text layer by single-click, now Text properties can be changed!

So it seems that once the text layer has been double-clicked, single-clicking it allows to change the text properties.

Hmm, double-clicking... how was I to know that? Spent the whole evening reading the on-line manual and googling, nowhere did I find anything about double-clicking... but now I know.

Thanks again.