1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cannot open eps file

Discussion in 'GIMP for Windows' started by end-user, Aug 31, 2015.

1. end-user

end-user New Member

Ok, I know it's been covered a bazillion times, but the two solutions I've found aren't working. The old solution is to install ghostscript and set the environment variable. Lots of posts since say that v2.8+ doesn't require that and that I should put the dll in the bin directory (renamed to libgs-8.dll). This doesn't work either. I'm currently running v2.8.10, and I have ghostscript installed. Can anyone give me current instructions for getting gimp to recognize and open an eps file?

Thanks

2. rich2005

rich2005 New Member

There was a recent post about this on the GimpUsers mailing list/forum recently. Was that you?

AFAIK using Gimp 2.8.10 should work. I can only report what works here, Win7 and 32bit & 64 bit VM's

I would restore the original libgs-8.dll as the replacement does not work.

For 32 bit and Gimp 2.8.14
    replacing the libgs-8.dll in ..Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\
    with this from Gimp 2.8.10 works see the last post here.
    http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/17424-eps-files-on-gimp
    Just repeated the experiment and it works here.

For 64bit it might be a little more complicated, I have not got round to extracting a libgs-8.dll from a 64 bit Gimp 2.8.10 installation.

What does work is the Partha version ( www.partha.com ) of Gimp 2.8.14 which only comes in a 64 bit version (both regular and portable)

It is possible to slipstream a couple of files from the Partha version into a regular Gimp 2.8.14 64 bit
    2 files libgs-9-1-14.dll (into ...GIMP 2\bin ) and file-ps.exe from ...\gimp\lib\gimp\2.0\plugins as replacements.

The easiest way, use the Partha portable version and save the eps in xcf format for use in your regular Gimp..