Business Card Layout

Discussion in 'Requests' started by Foppa, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

I actually like the idea of having an HTML text layout. Show it to your nerdfriends and you're da king!
  2. Kajida

Kajida Member

I'm doing my business cards with Inkscape. Then once I have them set up and colored, typed, and such, the way I want it, i'll go back with gimp to finish them off.

I've been playing around with this TuT to set up my cards. It even comes with a pdf template for the alignment of the cards on 1 sheet for when you print them.

<a class="postlink" href="http://blog.worldlabel.com/2009/business-card-tutorial-in-inkscapeorg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blog.worldlabel.com/2009/busines ... peorg.html</a>

Just another way of doing something. ;D
  3. Maffe811

Maffe811 The forum pet Staff Member

When i click the link, chrome tells me i can't connect to the internets...

1. Ill agree its cool, but there isnt really any work put into it!
    2. This is cooler:
    [​IMG]
    3. Its kinda isnt in the same league as my card....
  4. Nikkitytom

Nikkitytom New Member

The problem many Gimpers have with the business cards printing out in odd sizes is fact that GIMP offers templates in 72 ppi and 300ppi.

If you open a new image the GIMP default is 480 by 600 pixel image at a 72 ppi resolution. If at this point you enter your card dimensions in INCHES .... 3.5 by 2 inche ..... because the resolution is so low, you'll only get 252 by 144 pixels (which is the 72 ppi resolution for that size). And if you want to print that card in multiples on a standard 8.5 by 11 sheet, you'll find they print way way too small.

Why? Because the GIMP image for that standard paper size ( US-Letter) is 300 ppi. And you don't have enough pixels because you've created your card in only 72 pixels per inch rather than the 300 you need. So your card "shrinks" when you past it into a 300 ppi image.

But you can toss all this tech stuff out the door if you just remember a simple formula. Multiply inches by pixels. 300 pixels to the inch.

So 2 inches gives you 600 pixels. And 3.5 inches gives you 1050 pixels.

Now go to file, open .... image .... and then type your size in in PIXELS. With a 1050 by 600 you'll have a card completely compatible with the standard paper size. It will look HUGE on your screen, but just reduce the screen to 50% ( which won't affect the pixels but makes it easier to work on).

And voila ... there it is. Works with any sized card. Just make sure you're working in pixels and not inches.

Pick up a pre-formatted template for a ten card sheet at http://TheGimpWimp.wordpress.com
  5. Maffe811

What the scroogle...
  6. Cyrilshark

Cyrilshark Active Member

Graphic Designer
    Home page:
    What's wrong with that? It's very informative and accurate.
  7. Maffe811

Sure, but can't you just set the DPI to whatever you need it to be?
  8. Cyrilshark

Cyrilshark Active Member

Graphic Designer
    Home page:
    Yes, but that be harder to understand. Either way, it doesn't warrant a 'wtf' response ;)
  9. Nikkitytom

Nikkitytom New Member

Thanks ... I'm wading my way through so much technical stuff which seems so difficult for a newbie. So just wanted to post a simple and easy explanation. My website TheGimpWimp.WordPress.Com was started to offer wimpy simple explanations ... for wimps like me.
  10. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

The completely accurate answer is to use the Advanced Options to set the DPI, and then enter the physical size in whatever measurement unit you fancy (metric or imperial)(the vast majority of Gimp users are in countries that use the metric system(*)).

(*) only three non-metric countries left: USofA, Liberia, Burma, the USofA having 15% of the downloads for Gimp 2.8 for Windows in 2012, according to SourceForge
  11. Maffe811

Isn't UK imperial? or atleast half-half as Canada?

But yes, imo a wtf suits the situation, as its a long explanation telling you to calculate stuff, instead of just setting the correct DPI in the start.
  12. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

Legally it's metric now. Goods in stores are sold in metric units (and, closer to Gimp, they use A4 paper).
  13. Melissa

Melissa New Member

How do you create a double sided business card? I see that Maffe adeptly accomplished this, but I can't find a tutorial or post anywhere that walks through this particular aspect of business card making.

Any help? Thanks!
  14. Nikkitytom

Nikkitytom New Member

If you use GIMP 2.6 you can use TheGimpWimp.wordpress.com template. It will print centered on standard 8.5x 11 card stock. Just create your obverse side and print. It doesn't work with the later version of GIMP which prints off-center. Remember that the template itself is a "tweak" which the GIMP program doesn't provide. And this template is not metric.

All the details are on that site and on the YouTube tutorial link.