Brand New to GIMP. Cannot get a Gimp Window OS 10.6.7

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by jackes, Jun 3, 2012.

1. jackes

jackes New Member

I'm brand new to Gimp. I have installed Gimp 2.8.0p1 and XQuartz-2-1.7.0. Running OS 10.6.7 on a last of the core 2 duo 15" MacBook Pro, (MacBookPro5,3; Intel Core 2 Duo).

When I double click the Gimp application in opens followed by X11 both odf which which simply sit in the finder. There are no actions which can be performed, no windows, no file>open menu, no useful menus. The only Gimp menu is the Gimp application menu itself, (HIde Gimp, Hide Others, Show All and Quit).

I'm totally lost.

Sorry for such an amateurish question but, although I am an experienced Mac user, I am lost in Gimp. I am expecting some kind of gui. Is Gimp a command line only app? I don't think so.

Would sure appreciate a kick start.

Thank you -- Jack

2. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

There is definitely something wrong with your installation if Gimp, when not even a GUI pops up. Have you tried reinstalling from scratch with a tutorial? Maybe something went wrong when you installed it. As I'm not a Mac user, I cannot help you any other way at themoment.

3. Maffe811

Maffe811 The forum pet Staff Member

<a class="postlink" href="http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/News/News.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/News/News.html</a>
    Did you use this or some other ?

4. jackes

jackes New Member

Thanks to both for your replies.

I have installed both Gimp and XQuarts multiple times from what appears to be the lates and corrct link(s) at Sourceforge.

No idea whahere to proceed from here.

Jack

5. Maffe811

Maffe811 The forum pet Staff Member

Remove EVERYTHING that could be f'ing shit up.
    Re install gimp and other stuff that you removed.
    If that doesn't help start the trouble shooting, maybe the problem isn't gimp and a mac forum is the next place to go?