adding background watermark onto A4 poster

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by pinksquirrel, Mar 3, 2011.

1. pinksquirrel

pinksquirrel New Member

Hi Everyone. Could someone tell this Gimp virgin how to put a background image (watermark) onto an A4 poster and do I have to add the text after or before the background image is done. Many thanks.

Roger
  2. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

So you're trying to add a watermark with a text/logo to your photo and print it on A4 size, correct? If so, keep reading ;D

There are many ways of adding a watermark into an image. The easiest will be a simple text without a logo etc.

For that, just open up the image (I am assuming you already have it as a file on your PC, if not you'll have to scan it first) you want to have a watermark on in Gimp, then
    -Click on the text tool
    -Click on the image and add your text by typing it into the small pop-up box. You can also move the text around with drag&drop.
    -Take a look at your layer's dialog (It's this one [Click]), click on the Text Layer and lower the "Opacity" slider down to whatever percentage you think looks best (should be around 40% I guess)

If you want to add an image/logo to your image as well, just open up your image (the one you want to put the watermark on) in Gimp and then
    -Click on "File > Open as Layer"
    -Select the image/logo you want to use as a watermark and hit "Open"
    -Now, do the same thing with the opacity slider again (see above)
    -Optionally, use the move tool (This one [Click]) to position your logo correctly.

If you are done, go to "File > Save As" and save it as "Image_Watermarked.png" or similar. It is important though that you do NOT overwrite your original file because you can hardly remove the watermark afterwards. You can now easily print this picture or upload it to a website etc.

If this was not what you wanted, please give us a more detailed description of your problem.