1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add people behind group of people

Discussion in 'GIMP for Windows' started by layers, Jul 7, 2011.

1. layers

layers New Member

I have 2 pictures. One of 2 people and one of a group. There is no room at the end of the group so they have to be inserted behind everyone. I believe I have to do this by playing with layers, but I don't know how to.

2. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

Well, technically you should render them completely but I'll give you a simple way which can also turn out quite well depending on the time you spend on it:

(Before you start: always work with a copy of your original image(s) and remember to make a safety copy every 5-10 minutes when you're working. This will prevent you from some bad situations ;))

- Open up the image of the group
    - Go to "File > Open as Layer" and open up your 2-person-image
    - Go to the layers dialog (if you don't have it -> go "Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Layers") and rightclick on the 2-people-layer. Then choose "Add Alpha Channel". This gives the layer the possibility to display transparency.
    - Leftclick on the 2-people-layer in the layers dialog and move the Opacity slider down to ~40%. Now you're able to see whether the layer has to be resized/moved.
    - If needed, resize the layer with the Scale Tool in your toolbox and move it with the Move Tool to the place where the two people are supposed to stand in the end.
    - Bring the opacity slider up to 90% or even 100% again.
    - Choose the Eraser Tool from your toolbox and go to the tool options (if you can't find it, click on "Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Tool Options"). Now choose a hard brush with a rather big size.
    - Erase the raw parts like the basic background (basically everything that is not supposed to be in the final image)
    - Take a smaller brush and go into details with erasing. For hairs and other hard parts, choose a fuzzy brush in your tool options. (THIS IS THE MAIN PART, THE LONGER YOU TRY, THE BETTER IT WILL LOOK IN THE END!)
    - If not done previously, put the opacity slider up to 100% again.
    - If the two shots were taken at completely different lighting, you might have to adjust the colors as well. For that, just play around with the "Colors > Lightness and Contrast" and the "Colors > Color Balance" and the "Colors > Hue/Saturation" functions.
    - If it looks awesome, look into the mirror and smile, come back here and hit the Thankpost button
    - If it looks sh'tty, complain and we'll be glad to help you further ;)

(TL,DR: Open both images up as layers, delete everything but the persons on the top layer)

Arzo

3. iiqjohnwic

iiqjohnwic New Member

Do I need a vector setting to do this and if so how do I set gimp for vector imaging?