1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.8.6 on earlier OS X?

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by pofadda, Aug 22, 2014.

1. pofadda

pofadda New Member

Before I see if my 2008 Mac mini is up to it with this new version I just want to ask if it is 'safe' to run it on 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)? I don't want to find, hours into my relearning of GIMP, that bits of the prog outstrip either my Mac's hardware or primitive software!

Anybody tried this and can report a bit about it?

2. KiT

KiT Administrator Staff Member

does it have to be version 2.8.6? The latest version (2.8.10) works on snow leopard: http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download.html

As of the performance, it always depends on how much memory (RAM) your system has, but in general GIMP does not consume a lot of resources/cpu.

Edit: as a tip, before upgrading the whole computer you will notice a significant boost by replacing your old hdd with a ssd and toping up your ram (depending on how much will fit in) but a minimum of 4GB - the more the better.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    pofadda likes this.
  3. pofadda

pofadda New Member

Thanks for that. My download was only 2.8.6 as I hadn't seen the .10 or looked for it in the most obvious place! Now downloaded and coming to life.

We'll see if my 2GB kit can handle it tolerably!